*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905778-Science
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#905778 added March 1, 2017 at 10:22pm
Restrictions: None
Science
"Science

Group signature.

My Blog signature

Just it says it is

Just what it says

The 30 DBC prompt for Thursday March 2, 2017 is "War Chest Wednesday! From a previous challenger...

Is trying to colonize other planets for human settlement a good or bad idea and why? If it's good, what steps would you see having to take to go into something so big? If bad, what should we do with space programs besides replacing satellites every few years?"

I think colonizing the outlying planets is an excellent idea. After all Earth is becoming over populated and we're using up her natural resources at an alarming rate. I mean I'm sure alternative resources can be found such as atomic energy but even then we must figure out a way to dispose of spent rods that doesn't do more damage than good. I mean the half-life of plutonium 214 is greater than the current age of the planet. (I know. Scientists claim that Earth has been here billions of years based on carbon 14 dating. The problem with that is that their dates don't meet with scientific facts. Carbon 14 is created when nitrogen molecules in the ozone are bombarded with cosmic rays. Those carbon 14 molecules are radioactive. These become absorbed by plants along with regular carbon 12. These plants are then eaten by animals or simply die and become part of the soil. Over time they become buried. Once they die the plants no longer absorb carbon 14 or carbon 12. So any carbon 14 or carbon 12 in these was put there prior to their death. now here's the rub. Scientists claim to measure the age of products such as oil, dinosaur bones, etc. by measuring the amount of non-stable carbon 14 left in them. Carbon 14 is radioactive and anything radioactive has a limited existence because it breaks down. This breakdown is called a half-life or the amount of time it takes half of the product to decay. The decay rate of carbon 14 is 5,730 years,meaning that none should remain after 11, 460 years. Any fifth grader can do that math. The same fifth grade can tell you that once those plants are underground even any random radiation could not be absorbed. So oil and coal, which have carbon 14 could not possibly be older than 11, 460 years. Scientist who are suppose to be so good at math seem to want to turn those thousands of years into millions by adding more zeros. When I did that in my science classes I failed!

Since we are using up Earth's natural resources at such an alarming rate and since we are obviously going to have to rely on man-made or alternative energy sources, I think looking to the stars is the answer. For one thing we are going to need someplace to store that nuclear waste. Why not use the lifeless planets that exist as storage?

100 years ago there were about 6,000,000,000 (six billion) humans on this globe. Now there are seven billion meaning we are growing exponentially in population. I'll tell you what. Do this math. I will go to work for anybody capable of paying me at an exponential rate of 2 squared for thirty days. When you get done blowing a processor figuring just 2 squared for 30 days image 7 billion multiplying exponentially! We need to colonize other planets!

The obvious first steps to such a venture would be to recruit the people who are willing to go there to work and build their dwelling. A huge craft similar to the space station but much bigger would have to be developed to hold the colonists, the equipment and materials for building their colony, and food for the journey. Of course much of this could be taken in a fleet and resupply missions sent at staggered times to assure success. just don't trust the scientists who quote carbon 14 dating to tell you when to resupply!

Signature for nominees of the 10th annual Quill Awards

218143218143

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905778-Science