*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904364-Improv-and-Changing-the-Ending
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#904364 added February 10, 2017 at 1:14pm
Restrictions: None
Improv and Changing the Ending
"Mention improv to a writer and chances are he’ll turn whiter than a whipped cream hat on a snowman".~ Brian Klems Yet, in reality, we do it all the time in our writing. It's just that we never think about the audience as we write.
Imagine you are in a room standing with a group of people discussing your favorite movie but you decide to create a different ending right there on the spot. Well, what's your spin on your favorite movie ending?


==============

First, about the quote, that observation is probably correct because when we write, we weigh our words more carefully; yet, when we speak, what comes out of our mouths can be what we didn’t exactly mean to say. Not to be political, but a couple of examples that jumped to my mind as I write this are Hillary Clinton’s calling half the USA population "deplorables" and Kellyanne Conway’s “alternative facts.” I truly believe neither woman meant what they said exactly and the words just fell out of their mouths not to be forgotten till kingdom come. Now, can anyone blame the rest of us who fear public speaking, especially if it is on the fly?

As to the movie endings, I am not into movies at all, and I’d probably say to people, “Don’t see the movie, if it is based on an award-winning or a good original book. Read the book! Believe me, you’ll get more out of it.”

Still, not to cheat the prompt, I am going to re-do the ending of Casablanca.

How's this for a brave act!

Airport Scene.

Rick tells Ilsa, “I mean it. You’re getting on that plane!”

Ilsa says, “No, I am not! You get on that plane if you are so in love with Victor!” (Don’t you know I like headstrong women who say what they think!)

Rick says, “What do I want with Victor? I like women, and here’s looking at you, Kid!” and he raises his hand to his mouth acting as if he’s sipping whiskey.

Ilsa's face glows with a smile as she attaches herself to Rick's arm. Renault enters running and announces, “The war’s over! You don’t have to act like spies or patriots anymore!”

They both turn around in bewilderment staring at Renault. Renault flashes a telegram in front of their eyes.

“Ooh!” says Rick, “This changes things a lot!”

Just then Major Strasser arrives waving in the air another copy of the telegram. “Wait up!” he yells at the airplane. “I don’t want to stay here now that the war’s over. I never liked the desert weather. Give me ice and a cold, windy blizzard anytime. Schnell! Take me to my Vaterland, bitte!”

“Sure, Major,” says Ilsa, “You and Victor can become buddies, now. After all, you both have that crude, hard-headed heroism and derring-do personalities.”

Major Strasser rushes into the plane. Ilsa is still glued to Rick.

Renault tells Rick, “Well, Rick you’re not only a sentimentalist, but you are also about to become a husband.”

“After my divorce from Victor comes through,” says Ilsa.

“What the heck,” says Renault. “We’ll have the reception before the divorce.”

(I see no reason to change the last bit of the scene after this too much.)

Rick says, "It seems like a good time to start."

They watch the plane fly off from their point of view. Then, they walk away from the camera; all three are small in the midst of the fog and runway lights; although, glued-together, Ilsa and Rick look like one dangerously obese person.

Rick says, "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Come to dinner sometime with your wife."


Did I mess up a great ending or what!

And I didn't "turn whiter than a whipped cream hat on a snowman," but my face is aflame and red with shame. *Headbang* *FacePalm*


© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904364-Improv-and-Changing-the-Ending