*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901606-The-Treasures-of-Life
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#901606 added January 8, 2017 at 6:12am
Restrictions: None
The Treasures of Life
"The Treasures of Life

Made by Hannah - Still short of Premium }

The Blog City Prompt Forum prompt for January 8 is "PROMPT: We're often reminded to not dwell on the past, yet it can be said that there is no future without a past. Of these somewhat conflicting viewpoints, which one do you think is more applicable to you and your lifestyle, and why?"

I have to agree that there is no future without the past. In fact I'll take it one step further and say that without the past there would also be no present. Yes we would still be here in some form or fashion or but it wouldn't be us. It would be our body but the person within that body would be drastically altered. My past in many ways was a living hell. However it took everything that ever happened to me to make me into the person I am today. Much of my writing is based on my past because my past has shaped my thinking. I once thought that God or some other supreme entity had created me just to use me like a worm on a hook. I thought they wanted to torture me and watch me squirm. Now I look back at those times when my life was utter chaos and I know that those time were actually precious gifts wrapped in some strange packaging. The New Testament writer James says "My friends, consider yourselves fortunate when all kinds of trials come your way, for you know that when your faith succeeds in facing such trials, the result is the ability to endure," James 1: 2 - 3, Good News Translation.

The Apostle Peter also chimes in on this fact when he states "Be glad about this, even though it may be necessary for you to be sad for awhile because of the many kinds of trials you suffer. Their purpose is to prove that your faith is genuine. Even gold, which can be destroyed, is tested by fire, and so your faith, which is much more precious than gold, must also be tested, so that it may endure...., 1 Peter 1: 6 -7a.

the upshot of it all is that the things we endure shape us. Our past is often cluttered with wreckage. I know mine certainly is! That wreckage though is solid gold. The trials of my past are my most treasured possessions. Ask any farmer where they'd rather plant their crops? Would they rather plant them on land given to them high up on a ridge or on land they must spend their life savings purchasing down in the valley. They will choose the valley every time, because the most fertile soil for growth is always found in the valley. The valleys of our lives are the same way. Yes, it's great to be on the ridges and live trouble free lives. However we grow the most and become the wisest when we are in the valleys of darkness and troubles.

I have a metaphor I love to use. It is that humans are like plants. We need a good heavy scoop of manure thrown on us to grow! When I am in the valley of life I often wonder if God has abandoned me. The truth is however that he has not. He is simply doing what he does best. Turning decaying, putrid manure into an a beautiful garden.

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901606-The-Treasures-of-Life