*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900438-TRAP-OF-PLEASURABLE-STATES-DURING-ENQUIRY
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#900438 added December 28, 2016 at 12:27am
Restrictions: None
TRAP OF PLEASURABLE STATES DURING ENQUIRY
Another possibility is as the mind quiets and thoughts lose their power to attract and pretty much stop, then one can enter very pleasurable states, states of calm and a sense of purity, or slip into a state of stillness, peace with an accompanying sense of control.
Though often we hear that in Buddhist meditation peaceful, still, and pleasurable states are desired, in the context of hua-t’ou practice we should not let ourselves be side-tracked by these satisfying states where the hua-t’ou is lost; be aware that these pleasures can be extremely enchanting and enjoyable.
These pleasurable states and silent and peaceful states can be very captivating and in fact, be very difficult to leave once entered. Though these states show that the mind has settled and is stable, we must not forget that the hua-t’ou method is based on raising doubt.
Resting in inviting or pure feeling states are not a condition of doubt, or useful for raising doubt. These states should be recognized as they arise, but not lingered in, because they are very seductive, but they do not allow for raising the doubt. Hence, it is best for these states to be avoided for one using the hua-t’ou method. However pleasurable and stable these conditions are, from the point of view of hua-t’ou practice, they are a waste of time when the questioning is forgotten.

People often misunderstand samadhi, absorption. Bhagavan told the story of the yogi who spent hundreds of years in trance on the Ganges and on awakening his first thought was for some water he had asked for before entering trance. The thoughts had resumed their sway. The trance was useless.
Maharshi said real attainment was to be FULLY CONSCIOUS, to be aware of your surroundings and the people around, to move among them all, but not to merge your consciousness in the environment.
Remain in your inner independent awareness of IT. That is the highest — not to sit in trance which merely halts the mind.
The mind must be destroyed entirely, not merely arrested.

© Copyright 2016 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900438-TRAP-OF-PLEASURABLE-STATES-DURING-ENQUIRY