*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897346-Trait-Switching
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#897346 added November 13, 2016 at 1:57pm
Restrictions: None
Trait-Switching
Prompt: There is a personality trait in many people; it is something you really admire, but you don't possess much of it. However, there is a way you can trade your most favorite thing about yourself in order to attain this trait. Are you or are you not willing to make that deal, and what are the traits involved?

================

I admire people who, when attacked with a put-down, give back what they’ve gotten or come up with a scalding and strong reply. As for me, nada, nil, zilch! Ever since I was a kid, if attacked verbally, I freeze; my brain is put on hold and I stand there like a totem pole with an ax stuck in its middle. After the fact, however, I can and do think of the cleverest retorts. Go figure!

I thought about this and came to the conclusion that the best way could be to imagine put-downs by certain people and store those ready-made replies inside my brain; however, the practice of this feels to be such a negative way of thinking that I feel if I did this, I would lose my self-respect. Anyhow, one never knows from which angle the put-down will come, although one can easily guess from which people it may originate.

Would I trade one of my most favorite traits in order to be able to come up with good replies? I don’t think so. Although I really admire the quick-and-effective-retort ability in others, I am not ready to give up a part of me, which I like and is important. So, I guess, for the rest of my life, I’ll stand mute like a dummy when a certain someone or other picks on me. *Laugh*

© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897346-Trait-Switching