*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896922-Politics-is-just-show-business-for-ugly-people
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#896922 added November 8, 2016 at 6:04pm
Restrictions: None
"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
PROMPT: Talk Tuesday! Well, the presidential election is today. One of the most polarizing and controversial in recent history. How concerned are you about the outcome of this election? And for our global friends, what does this mean for you and your nation?
          Huh, I think Doris Day had the right idea, "Que sera, sera." There's nothing I, or any other Canadian can do. This election will be whatever it will be, sorta like a marriage; for better or worse, for richer or poorer.
          If the news media shared their insights in an unbiased manner, my opinion is that Trump doesn't care, or aknowledge Canada. He dismisses 'my' country, we're insignificant. He brags that he knows about money, so, doesn't he realize that the main attractions in Las Vegas are Canadian entertainers? Celine Dion, Shania Twain, and Cirque du Soleil are drawing paying customers. Who graciously donated their hockey players? Who built the Space Arm? Who provides their natural resources such as gas, oil, lumber, and hydro? Who invented the telephone, basketball, and insulin? Who exports thousands of Snowbirds to spend their disposable income in warmer climes? Where does he think oranges go?
          I turned to good ol' Google for inspiration, and it didn't fail me. I discovered quotes about politics... yeah as if! I may be Canadian, but I am tired of the campaigning, enough already. I believe this quote sums it up. A British Labour statesman and former Prime Minister said, "A week is a long time in politics." Yep, a great deal can transpire in seven days, good and bad. I have been tortured for too long. My head is swimming, I feel nauseous.
         Jay Leno claims, "Politics is just show business for ugly people." The back-stabbing, and mud-slinging is beyond ugly. All the hoopla, the lights, the colour, the noise is too much. It's a circus, or better yet a 'Crazy Train.' Trump and Clinton are two bedraggled moths who are attracted to the spotlight.
         Now I'm not naming names, but the next quote kinda points to a certain presidential hopeful. He certainly is not a debater, but he doesn't seem to care. According to George Bernard Shaw, "He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career." Who needs experience?
         I certainly do not envy the American voter. Is there a somewhat better candidate? What is the lesser of two evils? J.K. Galbraith says, "Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists in choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable." Not exactly roaring endorsements... Mediocre, or mediocre?
          Did D.T. come across this quote, and run with it? Ernest Benn, "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it wrongly and applying unsuitable remedies." Yep, The Donald has spoken without first thinking. His solution is to build a wall at borders? Has he heard of the Berlin Wall?
          This is a cynical quote, but then again, choosing a President is no easy task. An American journalist and humorist, Franklin P. Adams wrote, "The trouble with this country is that there are too many politicians who believe, with a conviction based on experience, that you can fool all of the people all of the time." Which campaign promises seem more likely?
          I may have found the silver lining in this election. Some entertainers have vowed that they will abandon the States if Trump is elected President. Hey, I say welcome. Some of you started out as Canadians anyway. Supposedly, Barbra Streisand has threatened to move to Australia , or Canada. OOOH, ooh pick Canada! You sang about 'Evergreen', and we have oodles of evergreens. You and Celine could be pals. All of us do not speak French. We love funny girls. Have you ever tasted maple syrup?
 ~
 ~
 ~

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896922-Politics-is-just-show-business-for-ugly-people