*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896663-Mr-President--Madame-President
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#896663 added November 5, 2016 at 11:53pm
Restrictions: None
Mr. President? Madame President?
Never before in the history of the United States of America has a woman been so close to the Presidency as a representative of one of the major political parties.

It is notable, that Mrs. Geraldine Ferraro was a viable candidate for the Vice-Presidency in 1984. Had Walter Mondale been elected, she would have been right next door to the Presidency.

Again, in 2008 the former Governor of Alaska, Mrs. Sarah Palin was the Vice-Presidential running mate of Senator John McCain. Second time to be "close but no cigar."

Have I missed a lady near the Presidency? Possibly, since these are the names I have in my memory during the years of my lifetime, so far.

Do women make great leaders? They do, indeed!

One of my personal favorites is "The Iron Lady," Baroness Margaret Thatcher of Great Britain, who served as Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990. One of her notable quotes is "The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money."

Another lady, who became a hero for her people in the Philippines was Corazon Aquino, the 11th President of that great nation. She served as President from 1986 to 1992. “As I came to power peacefully, so shall I keep it.” —Corazon Aquino

Condoleezza Rice, who served as the 66th Secretary of State for the Unite States from 2005 to 2009 for President George W. Bush. "Condi" as she is affectionately known, has been considered a worthy candidate for President by many, including this writer.

Ladies can be great leaders, when they are sober-minded, principled, individuals of good character with faith in lasting Truth and even-tempered. Actually, these characteristics would suit an individual of either gender in any place of leadership from the home to the White House.

As I recently told my 13-year-old daughter, "It's good to be a strong woman, but don't ever think you have to be a strong woman by making some man weak." Respect and Honor is a two-way street.



© Copyright 2016 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/896663-Mr-President--Madame-President