*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892735-P-And-P-Paper-and-Pen-For-Me
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#892735 added September 22, 2016 at 8:04pm
Restrictions: None
P And P, Paper and Pen, For Me
Prompt: Tell us a little about your writing process. Is it all digital, done on a computer, laptop, tablet, or even your phone? Do you start by jotting a few notes, or lines on paper, or draw up an outline? Do you formulate your ideas into words as you're typing? Or are you still completely old school, writing everything out first completely by hand and then entering it into a word processing program? What works/doesn't work for you?
         Well , the short answer to all of the above is yes. I have employed all the methods mentioned, and I still mix and match. Each has its merits, and usefulness.
         Most of my blog entries are pecked out on my computer keyboard, or my tablet. I compose as I go along, but sometimes I do a bit of research and scrawl some notes on paper. During our recent virtual backpacking jaunt through Europe, I planned and plotted as if I was following an actual itinerary.Many of my flash fiction pieces are spontaneous, they materialize as I type. It is handy to be able to edit immediately by erasing words, or entire sentences.The WDC word count is an invaluable tool.
         For my poetry and short stories, I prefer to put pen to paper. I like the physical act of writing, although that is much too kind a descriptor of my chicken scratch. Sigh. I fear my penmanship is becoming too much like that of my father; the vowels are often incomprehensible. I like being able to rearrange paragraphs and words myself. I like seeing my thoughts materialize on paper. Paper needs no internet access, or electricity. It is portable and convenient. If I choose, paper can be folded and carried in a folder, or a bag, or a pocket. It can endure, and be easily shared. I have a notebook and a journal which I fill by my hand. I've always been a doodler/sketcher, too, so for this I need paper and pencil.
         Computers are fantastic for digital storage and quick access to my portfolio. I like being able to e-mail my writing to family and friends. My typing skills are not the best, and too frequently I misspell words because I inadvertently strike the wrong key, or I am too gentle with my strokes. With a pen, I am sure of my spelling.
          I really dislike spell check!! It does not humour me, or permit me to colour my writing with the words I choose. Only the American spelling is recognized, no Canadian version. My tricky tablet attempts to anticipate my words, and often replaces the words I know I already typed.There is a huge world of difference between 'commission', 'committee', 'community', or 'commiserate' for instance.
         The words I commit to paper do not disappear frustratingly into the vast, dark internet netherworld like some of my online writing.As with any man-made technology, computer malfunctions occur. Yep, I still like paper and pen.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892735-P-And-P-Paper-and-Pen-For-Me