*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892302-Tragedy-of-Kids-Beauty-Pageants--for-NaNo-Tips-from-WD
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#892302 added September 15, 2016 at 2:57pm
Restrictions: None
Tragedy of Kids' Beauty Pageants & for NaNo-Tips from WD
Prompt: Jon Benet Ramsey Murder. 9-11. What are some tragic events you think about and wish you could have done something to make a difference?

=====

I really don’t like to think or talk about the tragedy of Jon Benet Ramsey. First, it is past history. Second, an entire family was destroyed, and it doesn’t matter whether the murderer is the brother, parents, or an outsider.

What matters is the existence of beauty pageants for children. I think they shouldn’t be allowed in the first place. They give the little contestants the wrong idea about life and themselves. They open the children up to public view and especially to that of perverts. Whether it is the exploitation of little girls or their parents seeking validation through their children’s successes, the entire idea behind the whole thing is hurtful.

What is right is the encouragement of inner beauty in little people. If families want to secure their children’s future, they should pay more importance to their education and their behaviors.

As for other tragedies in our present day history, I wish someone could have stopped 9/11, but I am not saying that I could. I have no such powers. To even think that I can stop anything from happening would be a ridiculous idea. Surely if I could stop any tragedy, I would, but I doubt I can ever do that or that I'd even have a chance to do so.

Free clip art


Now a few bon mots extracted from Writer’s Digest’s August 2016 issue, since NaNo is just around the corner *Wink* :

• A major mistake a lot of writers make is thinking that all a first line has to do is to be cool or shocking. That’s effective, but what makes a first line truly great is that it makes readers want to read the next line.

• No matter how compelling your characters are or how tight your plot, the first chapter must hold to an even higher standard.

• Your first chapter is itself a promise you make to your readers. Your first pages set the tone and ground rules for how you will tell the story.

• The key to using backstory wisely, from Chapter One onward, is showing how inner life and outer action are inseparable.

• Every time you flip to a new POV, reorient readers. Don’t leave them wondering.

• [ (For the main character) After changing a POV ] Delve into her current mindset every time you return to her POV.



© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892302-Tragedy-of-Kids-Beauty-Pageants--for-NaNo-Tips-from-WD