*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892177-The-Subjects-of-School
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#892177 added September 13, 2016 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
The Subjects of School
PROMPT: Talk Tuesday! School's back in session pretty much everywhere now, so tell us.... What were your best and worst subjects when you were a student?
          Has gabbing ever been considered an academic subject? Imagine a course known as The Art of Conversation. I suppose chatting could even be an Olympic sport. Hmm, I wonder what the world record is for speaking; duration, number of words spoken, variety of topics, number of participants? Why has this never been considered as a positive learning experience? Too often, in the context of a classroom, talking is viewed as a deterrent, a nuisance, a reason for detentions, and reprimands. Yep, I was always a chatterer, but I was also an honour student, my marks/grades couldn't be faulted.
         Understandably, my best subjects involved language: English, French, Spanish, and German. I have an affinity for words, phrases, slang, and the sounds of accents. Reading and writing amused me.
         Apparently, Mathematics didn't frighten me, and I liked problem -solving. When I attended high school, let's just say it was years ago and leave it at that, there were so many subjects I wished to study and experience, but a pesky thing known as a timetable forced me to choose. I wanted to express myself with art, but I did not have the time. I once argued with my Mother that I had dropped Honours level Math because I found it boring, and I needed to free up my schedule. Undeterred, Mom searched through boxes and found my transcripts which clearly indicated I had indeed studied Math beyond my memory of it, and achieved high marks. Huh, I obviously was not attending classes in spirit.
          One class I insisted upon being a participant in was physical education, P.E. Every year throughout high school I signed up for it against the wishes and expectations of my Mother. She would always argue that it lowered my overall percentage/grade score, but I couldn't be swayed.. Sure, she and I both knew I was no athlete, and in reality I was a klutz. Basically, I stumbled, slipped, and hobbled my way through P.E. I persevered for the fun and the change of pace it afforded me. There were never any projects or essays to research and complete. I could attempt physical feats , and be active. Academic courses increased stress while gym time was relaxing.
          I believe my gym teacher took pity upon me. or recognized my valiant efforts to co-ordinate my body. Despite concussions, repeated whiplash, bruises and abrasions, and the odd stitches, I passed the course with marks in the seventies. Yes, this lowered my overall average a tad, but I was never competitive. I was given a chance to try, and I am grateful for that.
         There was one subject that I deigned to attempt to appease my Mother, typing/keyboard skills. It basically involved timed speed drills hammering on keys. I still hear the clacking , and the ticking of the timer. I have small hands, child-sized hands. My pinkie fingers could not stretch from the bottom of the keyboard to the top row of a typewriter. They were useless digits devoid of dexterity. I admit I often cheated and substituted another finger to hit those keys meant for my baby finger. Memorizing the placement of the keys wasn't a problem. Even today I rarely call upon my pinkies to strike a key. Needless to say, I never repeated this course.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892177-The-Subjects-of-School