*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889845-Seductive-spell-of-Venice
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#889845 added August 17, 2016 at 1:22pm
Restrictions: None
Seductive spell of Venice
PROMPT: Venice, Italy!!
          Woohoo! Italy is beautiful, and now I'm in the city built on and around water, Venice. I repeatedly ask my backpackers to pinch me; I have the dark bruises to prove it. My new friend/amiga SB Musing } has included me as a roomie. I warned her I talk in my sleep, and I've been known to break out in camp songs in cramped enclosed spaces. Giggly girls never grow up, thank goodness, I joined her in the bed jumping at the Apartments San Marco, or were we bouncing off the walls? I blame it on the readily available wine. High spirits.....
         Okay, I was ready for the guided tour, my shoulders were temporarily covered. Although I'm not Catholic, I realize this is a sign of respect. The St. Mark's Basilica, located on St. Mark's Square, is breathtaking. My brother, Mark, would be amused. He'd be the first to admit that he is no saint. Wow, this church gleams. Its golden mosaics lend it the nickname, Golden Basilica.
         Well, my afternoon stretched before me like an unread open book. I was set loose in Venice to explore. I quickly vetoed wandering aimlessly seeking virtual video game characters, Yep, the Pokemon Go craze has invaded Italy. It seemed surreal and silly. Instead of this insanity, I opted for a boat tour that took me to outlying islands. During my brief voyage via water taxi, I marvelled at the beauty of the lagoon. There's nothing quite like a salt spray.
         My first port of call was Murano where I watched the art of glass-blowing. It is fascinating that a mixture of sands and minerals create something as fragile and elegant as glass. The artisans have to be agile and strong as they blow, roll, and manipulate the molten glass. In the Murano Glass factory hangs a gorgeous multi-coloured glass chandelier. Wow! It's gem-like . The rainbow refracted light radiating from it is spectacular. How could I purchase and carefully transport glass/bicchiere?
My second stop was at Burano, an island famous for its lace, or pizzo It was so delicate and lovely.. My first sight was of the rainbow hued homes/casas in a picturesque harbour. The blues/blus, greens/verdas. yellows/giallos, and pinks/rosas emanated happiness. Again today, the locals shared their sunny smiles and greetings of buon giorno. The return sea/mare trip was exhilirating.
         All day, I anticipated the gondola-serenade excursion. This was what Venice was famous for, and what made it an enchanted evening. I couldn't contain my grin as I floated along the canals in an actual gondola. I was a wee bit disappointed that the gondolier would not permit me to 'drive'. He wasn't giving up control of his pole. No big stick for me. He seemed to push, pull, poke, and point with that long piece of wood. My experience with watercraft involved either a gas-powered motor, or a paddle. The gondola glided effortlessly through the water. I loved that the locals congregated on the bridges to wave and cheer on the gondolas. Being serenaded is magical, and the dream stuff of movies. I expected to hear something like O Sole Mio, but the singer with a tremendous tenor, sang opera. It was all so dramatic and magical. He was accompanied by a musician with an accordion, or fisarmonica.
         Once again my appetite had been whetted, and I was more than eager to sample the feast at Hostaria ai Coristi, and re join my fellow trekkers to hear all about their adventures today. Over incredible fish/pesce and el vino, I agreed that Italy is home to "bell'uomo",or handsome men. They epitomize tall, dark, and handsome. Ciao, bella. What sounds better?Well, yes, Spanish does....It's not for nothing these languages are known as the Romance tongues. They caress the ears with their sultriness. Wine/il vino intoxicates. I enjoyed an evening of fine food, lilting laughter, and stimulating conversation. Italy weaves a seductive spell.Buona notte!

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889845-Seductive-spell-of-Venice