*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886182-Unforgettable-Commercials
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#886182 added July 1, 2016 at 3:02pm
Restrictions: None
Unforgettable Commercials
30 DBC Prompt: On this day in 1941 , the Bulova Watch Company sponsored the first TV commercial in New York City , NY . How do you feel about commercials? Is there a current or past Commercial you're particularly fond of ( or perhaps really dislike)? Tell us about it.
         Bah, television commercials are for the most part extremely monotonous, annoying, and trivial. They dare to interrupt the on-screen action in an attempt to brainwash me . All the major American vehicle manufacturers claim to have the bestest people--movers with the greatest ratings.......yeah, sure they do. Why on earth would I ever purchase a drug that not only has an impressively long list of frightening side effects, but fails to reveal what symptoms or illness it was created to combat? I watch television mainly for entertainment purposes; I don't appreciate the hustle.
         This being said, or more accurately ranted, I have found some commercials to be amusing, and thus memorable . Remember the ads in which a woman parachutes with an entire box of maxi sanitary pads? How ridiculous and far-fetched was that? Did she distrust her chute and plan for the possibility of needing a more cushioned landing? The more recent ads featuring Mother Nature were condescending to woman.
         Who cannot sing the catchy McDonald's jingle that was repeatedly played as a subliminal message: "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun"? The Big Mac had to have been popular. Not that I frequent this eatery often, but am I the only person to find it strange that they emphasize 'new' bacon? Of course, I don't care to eat the 'old' bacon. McDonald's characters were marketing gold; Ronald, the Hamburglar, Mayor McCheese.
         Last year, here in Canada, our beloved Tim Horton's, a doughnut/coffee shop empire, ran a series of amusing radio spots teasing us about our Canadian tendency to be self-effacing and apologetic. "I'm sorry we have the best hockey players."
         My son introduced me to a current commercial that we both laugh at.Cookie Monster is now a spokesperson for Siri, the voice-activated search engine. He requests a cookie recipe from Siri, and then attempts to amuse himself as he impatiently waits for the cookies to bake. Siri becomes his timer and clock.
         I suppose despite my efforts to resist, commercials have succeeded in leaving their marks.
D

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886182-Unforgettable-Commercials