*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882061-Protests
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#882061 added May 13, 2016 at 7:27pm
Restrictions: None
Protests
Prompt: Fun Fact Friday ! On this day in 1958, US Vice President Richard Nixon ' s limousine was battered by rocks thrown by anti-US demonstrators in Caracas , Venezuela . Have you ever protested something before , big or small? Loud , or silently ?
          Oh, I've boycotted ice cream in the past, but to what end? The dealers manufacturers and pushers salespeople never noticed my one-woman protest. I denied myself only to delay possible weight loss .
         Okay seriously....... Years ago I joined my fellow home support workers to protest the cancellation of our travelling expenses, and the reduction of our wages. A new agency had purchased our contracts, and set about instigating changes . Our territory was a rural one which meant lots of driving in our personal vehicles to the homes of clients. We relied upon extra funding for our fuel. With years of experience and upgraded training, we didn't appreciate working for less money. What to do?
         We chose to object and band together; one for all, and all for one. After a couple of meetings, we invited a union representative to speak/join us with ideas and options. Eventually, we.voted to become union members. Our travelling allowances were reinstated, and most of our original wages were restored. We were forced to accept that a smaller wage was better than no wage. The new employer was the only game in town for personal support workers, so it was them or no one.
         Alas, the blood - thirsty black flies have returned in voracious swarms to feast upon me and the other inhabitants of Northern Ontario. Protesting, objecting, swatting, and wailing will do us no good. Biting insects answer to their own appetites.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882061-Protests