*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881820-Isnt-it-human-nature-to-follow-the-crowd
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#881820 added May 10, 2016 at 8:18pm
Restrictions: None
Isn't it human nature to follow the crowd?
PROMPT: Talk          Tuesday! Has the practice of crowdfunding gone too far? Share some positive and /or negative examples you're familiar with.
          Just for my edification/entertainment, I entered the word 'crowdfunding' in to an online search engine, and, bingo, a plethora of possibilities emerged. I then chose a Canadian link which sent me spinning off on another wild ride. WHEW! It's a thriving community. Not surprisingly, 'crowdfunding software' exists, or as some market it: 'pool fund management'. What's lurking in this hypothetical pool? Hmmm... is this because like many sites that exist solely to raise money, sharks swim and circle, awaiting their bite? I'm not about to jump into this 'pool'. I don't believe the waters are clean.
         Crowdfunding is just another form of begging. It appeals to those who'd rather ask for handouts than help themselves. Granted charities now use crowdfunding, but how many are legitimate? The real possibility of fraud exists. I've noticed news stories that if they are accurate, reveal unscrupulous people who have created a crowdfunding site only to abscond with the well-intentioned donations. Sites that offer their 'space' and services for fundraising also charge fees. How many who give/donate know this?
          I actually discovered a link to 'crowdfunding etiquette'. A source known as the Plumfund registry offers helpful do's and don'ts for creating a fundraiser plea. What a wonderful name: Plumfund. They offer tips; "how to raise money tactfully". It is suggested that 'you' write a detailed description so 'guests', ( a lovely euphemism for givers/donators), feel they are contributing to something "exciting, wanted, and needed". Expressing your "genuine gratitude" with a prompt and thoughtful thank you will please the 'guests'. Nothing is considered too mundane; set up a fundraiser for your baby or bridal shower.
          It seems as if everyone wants 'donations'; medical groups, charities, schools, communities. Fundraising isn't a new concept, but it is all-pervasive. I object to people who trivialize fundraising and seem to have an attitude of self-entitlement. If you cannot afford your car/house/education/dream trip than so be it. Try earning these items yourself. Try waiting; most rewards take time and effort to achieve.
         There are many attention-grabber names for crowdfunding; Kickstarter and GoFundMe are but two. These fundraisers "help bring creative projects to life". Money/funds/capital is raised as a group-effort to finance inventions, etcetera. Those who donate are rewarded with company shares, gifts, or products. These crowdfunders seem to have a more direct cause and effect.
         Isn't it human nature to follow the crowd?

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881820-Isnt-it-human-nature-to-follow-the-crowd