*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881715-Billy-Who
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#881715 added May 9, 2016 at 9:36pm
Restrictions: None
Billy Who?
PROMPT: Motivation Monday! Use this list of famous people born on May 9th. Share one of their quotes, their lyrics, or a piece of their work. Tell us a bit about it and what you enjoy or how it makes you feel.
         Well. I followed the included link, and I must admit that the majority of the so-called celebs on the list are a mystery to me. I only recognize two of the 'stars': Candice Bergen and Billy Joel.
         My brother-in-law has four dogs, 'chugs'; Chihuahua/pug blends. All four of the beasts have musical names; Barry White, Billy Idol, Bobbi Brown, and Black Betty. My eldest daughter is a child of the eighties, and she could only think of the name Billy Joel, perhaps because she heard his music 'all the time'. She was forever referring to one of the chugs as Billy Joel, not Billy Idol. When corrected, she'd shrug, "Whatever." There is quite the contrast between the two Billies!
         I certainly recognize a Billy Joel song when I hear one, and, surprisingly, the lyrics come easily. He was a chart-topper in the seventies and eighties. His lyrics spoke of human angst; love lost, labour struggles, questioning youth. I suppose he reminds me of my teenage years and young adulthood.
          I re-researched some of Joel's lyrics and this song still has relevance today. It could have been composed to describe the disenfranchised, radical young men who join militant groups seeking answers. They come from anger and fear, expressing their outrage through extreme violence and terrorism. Prelude/Angry Young Man
         There's a place in the world for the angry young man
         With his working class ties and his radical plans
         He refuses to bend he refuses to crawl
         And he's always at home with his back to the wall
         And he's proud of his scars and the battles he's lost
         And struggles and bleeds as he hangs on his cross
         And likes to be known as the angry young man.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881715-Billy-Who