*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881564-Mom
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#881564 added March 24, 2020 at 5:43pm
Restrictions: None
Mom
PROMPT: Creation Saturday! Since Sunday is Mother's Day in the U.S., write a tribute to your Mom, grandmother, favourite aunt, or friend that helped you in a motherly way.
          For the past two Mother's Days, I've been motherless. Technically, I'm not an orphan, my father is still alive. Until my mother actually died I never considered her death a possibility. Intellectually I knew she couldn't be immortal.
          For a brief time in my youth, I honestly believed she had super powers. Mom didn't abide liars, and she herself warned me that she had eyes in the back of her head, so it had to be true. How else did she manage to see everything I did, or was about to do? Her hearing was so acute, she detected all whispered conspiracies, sibling squabbles anywhere, and muttered discontent. "I know what you're up to, and I can hear you. You'd better think twice." Mom also possessed a sixth sense; her kid radar tracked my every movement. Somehow, she knew what I'd eaten, where I'd been, who I'd been with, or eerily predicted all of this.
          Her mommy'isms often left me puzzled, and when I got older and wanted to challenge her, I'd mimic her, or offer a quick quip/answer. To my mother this was 'backtalk'. I couldn't resist though; her expressions were usually tossed out into the atmosphere as questions. Ah, they were intended to be rhetorical. Where on this earth did Mom discover this saying? "I'm so mad, I could just spit nails." Okay, I understand that she was angry, but why the nails? When too busy or occupied, ( translation: overwhelmed and frazzled), I'd be told, "Can't you see I only have two hands?" Ah, yes, but what's your point? I must admit I did try to negotiate with Mom. "What part of 'no' don't you understand?" Arguments and pleas met a mother's unflinching resolve; "Because I said so, that's why."
         Mom imparted her knowledge to me. "Mind your 'p's' and 'q's' " "Money doesn't grow on trees." "Open your eyes and your ears." "Put your best foot forward." ( Sorry Mom, I struggle with this one! I'm a natural born klutz, and I have yet to determine which is my better foot. Neither one of them is a leading candidate.)
         Mom was always an avid reader, and so am I. I must have noticed how much she enjoyed it, and followed her example. We shared an interest in murder/mysteries, but I never developed an interest in romances. My kids refer to me as ' the spelling Nazi", yet my Mom first held this esteemed title. She correctly argued that communication is important, and for that proper spelling is vital.
          I miss Mom, and I expect to go on grieving her physical absence. To me, she was the 'bestest' Mom.
         I paid tribute to Mom with this eulogy. It is but a glimpse of the love we shared.
MY BELOVED MOTHER'S EULOGY  (13+)
The eulogy I wrote and delivered for my precious Mom's funeral.
#2017482 by SandraLynn Team Florent!

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881564-Mom