*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877459-BW-TV
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#877459 added March 25, 2016 at 8:30pm
Restrictions: None
B&W T.V.
PROMPT: FUN FACT FRIDAY! On this day in 1954, RCA manufactured its first colour tv set and began mass production. Had this never happened, do you think we would still enjoy what television has to offer us?
         There's no denying that a colour picture is visually striking and appealing. Everything; people, backgrounds and scenery, animals, all appear so lifelike when presented in their natural tones.
         When the story line is captivating and the characters are compelling, colour is not important. Many great television shows and movies were black and white. We knew that palm trees for example are tall and green, so when they appeared in a film we recognized them even though the true colours were absent. The actual colour of the leading man's sedan didn't matter. We could still differentiate animals by their sizes, shapes, and markings. The lion is the mighty creature with a full mane of hair, and the elephant is large and equipped with a trunk. Despite black and white, we were able to distinguish between night and day, snow and rain, sand and pavement. We still had images to concentrate on and follow.
         I think television appealed to people because it meant they could be entertained in the comfort of their homes. They did not have to dress and travel to view a movie. Sitcoms and episodic programs were anticipated. Viewers looked forward to each new installment. Black and white movies offered at theatres had proved popular, so why not offer the public a home version?
         I'm a fan of 'old' black and white films. I also like silent movies. Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton were very entertaining without speaking a word.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877459-BW-TV