*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877333-Habits
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#877333 added March 24, 2016 at 3:58pm
Restrictions: None
Habits
PROMPT: The Wildcard Round! "Old habits die hard." Do you believe this statement?
         I just want to clarify that at no point during the following ramble am I referring to nuns and their 'habits'. English is a tricky language. I choose to pontificate upon customs, quirks, and behaviours; the other habits.
          I believe all of us creatures known as humankind have habits. Many are learned behaviours that seem to help us cope. Some of us try to deposit our car keys in the exact same spot each time we return home because when we're scrambling to get out the door we want to forgo a mad, frantic search for them. For this same reason, we park our footwear near the door, too. Often we shop at the same, familiar stores. They are convenient. We know where to find what we want. We know what to expect; pricing, brands, and the time it takes to travel to and from the store. Many of us eat the same foods regularly, and rarely deviate or experiment. We travel the same routes to access our jobs, our extra-curriculars, and our extended families. At predictable times, we rise and retire. We are creatures of habit.
         Not all of our habits are healthy ones, and we may over-indulge. Addicts exist in a myriad of forms. Alcohol, drugs, sex, food, and gambling are but a few 'vices'. To deal with them and their temptations is a constant struggle.
         One of my cousins is autistic and impulsive/compulsive. He is constantly at odds with his compelling habits; he cannot explain or deny them. Sometimes, a new quirk will just appear, seemingly out of the blue. At the moment, he avoids stairs if it is possible. He must now jump up or down. Visiting me is not straightforward; nineteen steps lead to my apartment. Inexplicably, anything and everything he chooses to carry must be encased within three plastic bags; clothing, food, his cigarettes. When he addresses family members, he uses labels or titles. I know he
's my cousin. He knows he is my cousin. I am Cousin Sandy. This has never been a custom or a formality in our clan. I've never referred to my relatives as an aunt, an uncle, or a cousin.
         I believe some habits are born from boredom. Not all nail-biters are worriers or fretting about emotional issues. Idle hands are easy to abuse.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877333-Habits