*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876589-Yes-to-Maternity-Leave
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#876589 added March 15, 2016 at 4:48pm
Restrictions: None
Yes to Maternity Leave
Prompt: Talk Tuesday! The U.S. is one of the few countries around the world that doesn't offer paid maternity leave. What's your opinion? Tough it out and be thankful you have a job and a family ; demand better services for new mothers, babies, and their families, or somewhere in-between?
         It's a shame that maternity leave is not offered in the States. To count on a steady income while tending to a newborn would be a godsend. The new mom and babe should be given time to bond.          
In Canada, a maternity leave is sponsored by unemployment insurance. Employees and employers alike pay into this fund. It is a back-up plan for injury, accident, or pregnancy. Drawing upon it is a lifesaver. An income is temporarily provided when it's most needed. Women may opt to use this plan for up to a year of maternity leave. Fathers and adoptive parents may also take advantage of this offer.
         The plan does have its drawbacks. It is regulated by the government, and as such has its bureaucracy. The pay out is not at a hundred percent, but instead at a lower percent of the applicant's wages. It has a fixed time limit. The benefits are not immediate. It is an added expense of operating a business and having employees. The government has surplus funds, but the set cost is never lowered.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876589-Yes-to-Maternity-Leave