*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876528-The-Lights-Are-On-But-Nobodys-Home
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#876528 added March 14, 2016 at 9:15pm
Restrictions: None
The Lights Are On, But Nobody's Home...
PROMPT: Motivational Monday! Albert Einstein, born in Germany on this day in 1879, once said, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." Do you agree, or disagree with him, and why?
          Oh, I agree with this eminent man; there's no limit to the stupidity of people. Every day, there is proof of this featured in news stories. In fact, there are so many examples MSN has a category for this known as OFFBEAT News. Just recently, I read of a woman who thought it was a good idea to smuggle cocaine in her breast implants. Apparently, hackers failed to steal all the money they were after from a Bangladesh bank when they misspelled a crucial word. Thieves beware; the correct word is 'foundation', not 'fandation'. How many times have we heard about robbers attempting to access a building via a chimney and becoming stuck? They'd probably complain that there wasn't an appropriate warning sign re the narrowness of the said chimneys, or full disclosure as to the ineffectiveness of a chimney as an entrance. A divorcee's demands have made her newsworthy. Along with child support payments, she wanted a wine allowance. During a flight to France, it was discovered that a woman had hidden a child in her carry-on luggage. A woman from Portland has made a name for herself posting online memes that pair photos of dogs with pictures of food. She is asking us to compare the two and see similarities; she believes a Chihuahua looks like a blueberry muffin. A misguided thief robbed the same convenience store three times in one week. Stupid is as stupid does.
         Our propensity for stupidity extends to reality television shows. Who cares to view idiots pretending to be room mates in Big Brother? What is this fascination with the Kardashians, and before that, Paris Hilton? They are wealthy do-nothings. Think of all the YouTube videos depicting extreme stunts, and lack of planning, thought, or conscious effort. Why do so many young men try to cycle or skateboard down metal-railed stairs, or from roof tops, or behind moving vehicles? Inevitably, they injure a tender part of their anatomy. Why do some idiots try car-surfing? If their brains weren't pre-scrambled, the resultant accidents will take care of this.
          Adages concerning stupidity are nothing new, and they are numerous and humorous. One sandwich short of a picnic. One tit shy of an udder. The light's are on, but nobody's home. The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top. When God was handing out brains you thought he said trains, so you ordered a slow one. Stupidity is foolishness which is next to ignorance.
          There seems to be no cure for stupidity. It is a human condition. As George Carlin noted, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Like misery, stupidity loves company. A British actor, Stephen Fry poses a question. "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people in the world?"

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/876528-The-Lights-Are-On-But-Nobodys-Home