*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875948-ElephantsYouve-Earned-Your-Retirement
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#875948 added March 6, 2016 at 8:53pm
Restrictions: None
Elephants..You've Earned Your Retirement
PROMPT: On Sunday, the circus elephants of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus will perform in NYC for the last time. Should events like the circus, which use trained animals in some acts, be considered cruelty to animals? What about other forms of entertainment that may feature live animals?
          Basically, I think any wild animal kept in captivity is being mistreated to a certain extent. The mere act of caging them is unnatural. They are not free to roam, hunt or forage, or mingle with other wildlife. Circus animals are subjected to the discomforts of travel. They are barraged with noises, strange people, and new surroundings on a continual basis. Is force used to train them? Is the threat of pain a motivator? Are the 'acts' demeaning and stressful? The possibility of mistreatment is very real, if not neglect.
         The marine life shows featuring killer whales, dolphins, and walruses also corral/cage/imprison these animals. The pools and water tanks they are kept in are far too small for such large beasts who normally traverse oceans. They must miss the stimulation that being in their natural habitat provides.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875948-ElephantsYouve-Earned-Your-Retirement