*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875429-Oscar-Wilde-and-His-Disappointment-in-Love
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#875429 added March 1, 2016 at 2:58pm
Restrictions: None
Oscar Wilde and His Disappointment in Love
Prompt: Oscar Wilde says in his The Ballad of the Reading Gaol, “Each man kills the thing he loves.” What do you think he means?

=====================

I tend to believe that love, if true, cannot do nasty things to the beloved.

As to Wilde’s statement and the poem, I think Wilde is hinting at several things:

* A killing may not be physical. We can kill each other with words and gestures and by holding back love and attention.

* Wilde own disappointment in love. Having read what his life had been like, I can understand him.

* Murder that is not always premeditated: Wilde began writing this poem, on the exterior, about a man who had killed his wife. The man took his sentence in a detached fashion and was executed later.

* Harshness of the society that judges and punishes its individuals without understanding. Wilde spent two years in Redding Jail for being a Homosexual. He was deeply humiliated there, not only by the terrible conditions and treatment in jail but also for the society’s scorn upon who he was.

* Scheming love that changes and kills its love object through being control-crazy, as some overly indulgent or controlling parents do.

To wrap it up, I think, while Wilde’s statement sounds powerful, it is also questionable rationally, but then Wilde himself was a paradox and he loved coming up with paradoxical statements. Still, the beauty of usage and the downright feeling and passion in his work cannot be denied to him.



© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875429-Oscar-Wilde-and-His-Disappointment-in-Love