*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875049-Canadian-Quirkiness
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#875049 added February 26, 2016 at 9:30pm
Restrictions: None
Canadian Quirkiness
PROMPT: All of us are located in different areas on this globe and with that comes quirky laws. Some are downright hysterical that they even exist and some are really restrictive. Tell us about some in your area and how they affect you.
          I'm from the country known as Canada; I was born and raised here. Yes, like other countries 'we' live with some strange laws, laws meant to protect and control us, or is that laws meant for us to practise conformity. Just in case I was planning a crime spree or at the very least attempting to thwart authority, I researched to discover several of those legalities.
          Apparently, it is illegal for me to relieve myself in public. I can't recall that I've ever felt compelled to do this; often it is chilly here, and far more comfortable and practical to utilize indoor plumbing. The word "relieve' has different connotations, and if it this law alludes to the emotion of relief, then this alters my perception. My British background teaches me to keep my emotions in control with a stiff upper lip. so I doubt I shall show relief, and therefore be relieved, in public.
          It's so sad, but true that a proprietor of an adult entertainment store needs a food licence to sell edible underwear; how shocking. They are considered a food? To which food group do they belong? I'm thinking maybe this product is more of a junk food. Hmm, does this apply to flavoured body oils, too? The closest that I or my hubby have been to such an item is the pair of 'mantyhose' he received as a gag gift; panty hose for men, with 'three' legs. This reminds me that he has yet to model them for me.
          In Petrolia, Ontario a law exists to limit excess noise. "Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling or singing is prohibited at all times." Huh? Is no one permitted to legally be enthusiastic, or show excitement, or cheer? I thought 'yelling' and 'shouting' were the same thing, but not in this town. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't owls 'hoot'? I'd be safe from the whistling. I wouldn't be tempted to pucker; I cannot produce a whistle. All I can manage is a sputter.
         Bancroft, Ontario decrees that skinny dipping is illegal. Whoo, I missed a charge and a criminal record in my youth! What skinny dipping I indulged in took place in other locations, and never in the winter. Polar splashes never appealed to me. In retrospect, it was fortuitous that I also didn't swim in the buff in Petrolia; I remember whooping and hollering. I suppose I could've argued in my defence that 'whooping' and 'hollering' are not specifically 'yelling' or 'shouting'.
          I've never lived in Canada's tiniest island province. In Souris, Prince Edward Island big snowmen are illegal. This was a surprise, after all, this area of Canada also receives snowfall as does the rest of the country, and citizens, especially children need to do something with the snow. Why discriminate against snowmen? I was taught to believe that size doesn't matter. Snowman-building is more fun and creative than shovelling all the white stuff. This town limits the height of their snowmen to a maximum of thirty inches if resurrected on a corner lot. Midget snow people, excuse me, I mean little-people-snowmen are acceptable. Maybe the clue lies in this town's name. I think 'souris' is French for 'mouse'. This is not a town of big ideas.
         Since 1973, the city of Sudbury, Ontario has made it illegal to install a siren on a bicycle. Does this mean that somebody once tried this and it was a disaster? Did someone mistake the cyclist for a fire truck or an ambulance? When I was a kid, I never considered equipping my wheels with a siren; a banana seat, monkey handle bars, and plastic streamers were desirable.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875049-Canadian-Quirkiness