*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874420-Meet-Derrald
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#874420 added February 20, 2016 at 1:40pm
Restrictions: None
Meet Derrald
PROMPT: Creation Saturday---What sort of planning goes into the creation of your characters? What must you know about them before you can tell their story? If you have a favourite character in something you have already written post a link to share with us.
         I like my characters to be believable, an everyman, everywoman sort of person. I people-watch. I listen to the stories I am told. I engage others in conversation. I keep a journal in which I record these interactions.
         The human brain is so complex and fascinating. We develop as a response to genetics, nurturing, environment, and stimulation. What makes us tick? We are similar, yet unique. I have cared for people with dementia and Alzheimer's. Why do they lose newer memories, but retain those of their childhood? I know a young man diagnosed as autistic. He is a walking contradiction. His behaviour is often baffling, and unintentionally amusing.
         I created a character named Derrald who struggles with autism. He has a terrific memory that is understandably tinged by his interpretations. He is abrupt. He has no guile, and no concept of deceit; he cannot lie, but he is able to twist a tale and omit key elements. He is impulsive. Derrald cannot seem to grasp the concept of consequences; he often finds himself in situations that he could not avoid because he never considered the outcomes of his actions. He is socially awkward, and cannot read cues; voice inflections, body postures, facial expressions, word nuances. He is an observer and an imitator. He mimics actions and words, but does not comprehend them. He is controlled by self-imposed rituals. He devotes a great deal of time to these compulsions. They must be executed in a set order, and in an exact way.
          I have attempted twice to portray Derrald. He is compelling.
THE NEWBIE  (13+)
Derrald struggles to fit in at his warehouse job, one day at a time.
#2035982 by SandraLynn Team Florent!
and
 THE WAVE  (13+)
Derrald discovers that a simple wave can have disastrous results!
#1989350 by SandraLynn Team Florent!

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874420-Meet-Derrald