*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872635-Fire-Firemen
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#872635 added February 4, 2016 at 7:44pm
Restrictions: None
Fire? Firemen?
PROMPT: Your boss has to fire half your team. Why should you be kept? Why should he/she fire you? Have you ever volunteered to take a lay-off so one of your co-workers does not lose their job?
          Not withstanding my movie star looks, my irresistible charm, and my witty banter, I am a valuable employee. I earn my keep. I actually appear before my shift starts; yes, I am punctual, and I appreciate punctuality and reliability. When I commit to a project I see it through. Never have I expected or taken extra breaks just because I'm a smoker. In reality, I'm a non-smoker who watches smokers burn more than just cigarettes. So much time is wasted in this manner. Some of these same people blow smoke up each other's skirts with their gossiping. Teamwork thrives on mutual trust and efforts. Everyone needs to contribute.
          I 've never experienced a lay-off situation. I do have a story from an uncle to share.
          My uncle toiled all his career as a big-city fireman. He and his fellow firefighters encountered real dangers almost every shift; from vehicle collisions to suicide attempts on suspension bridges, from high-rise fires to grass fires, from blazing infernos to chemical explosions. It was a job that required great strength; of character, of mind, of stamina, and of sheer brute physicality. Firefighters know they must be physically healthy to fulfill their rescuing duties. They rely on each other to work as a team.
          Yearly, these men and women are tested to verify their continuing physical shape. After one such evaluation, a fellow firefighter was deemed unfit for duty. He 'd been cited re weight gain, and given several months to shape up or ship out. He'd reached the limit of his unit's leniency, and was about to see his time as a fireman terminated. My uncle and several other firefighters offered all of their sick days and vacation days to the over- weight friend. With such a show of support and sacrifice, this man's job was saved. While he took paid time from the fire hall to work on losing his extra weight, his friends continued as usual. This was a win-win.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872635-Fire-Firemen