*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/871224-Conventions-Conferences-and-Such
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#871224 added January 19, 2016 at 2:12pm
Restrictions: None
Conventions, Conferences, and Such
Prompt: Most of us have been to a convention, a networking event, a writers’ conference or any other professional meeting. What are some of your ideas for making the most of these events not only for writers but for anyone in any profession?

=============

I guess the whole approach depends on the events and what you want to get out of them. To make it simple, let’s say you want to learn more on your subject or extend your job opportunities or you want to be recognized in your vocation.

First, you need to be friendly with everyone and approach people, even those you have never met, and introduce yourself. Although the small talk may sound silly to you, it’s a social norm that tells the other person they are important to you. If the conference isn’t going your way, you might just as well skip this approach and stay in the background.

If there are speakers in the conference, it must be because they are well-connected. Talk to them but don’t rush it until after everyone else is finished talking to them. Talk to them last if you can manage it, so they may remember you. Usually, the first and the last person to talk to a speaker is remembered the most, excluding obnoxious people who make an indelible impression.

If there is a line for food, drinks, etc., try to get in the back of a person who might be of interest to you. People waiting in lines usually end up engaging in chitchat. Chitchat may turn out to be important for networking later on.

Unless you have a very sharp memory, make sure to take notes not only on the material but also on the people you meet. This might come handy sometime later.

My favorite part of a conference is the exhibit area, not only for the new ideas and job opportunities but also for networking. Many people find jobs in the exhibit area. One person I know who was about to retire found a job for after his retirement. He worked at that job, then at another job similar to it, until he was 81. If not a job, in the least, you’ll get good advice on various aspects of your work and on the tools and materials.

Then, last but not the least, always show up early everywhere. You’ll never know what kind of opportunities will be there unless you show up ready and willing.


© Copyright 2016 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/871224-Conventions-Conferences-and-Such