*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864964-Changing-Ones-Mind
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#864964 added November 2, 2015 at 11:31pm
Restrictions: None
Changing One's Mind
Prompt: “I feel I change my mind all the time. And I sort of feel that’s your responsibility as a person, as a human being — to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don’t contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you’re not thinking.” -- Malcolm Gladwell
In reference to the above quote, do you think changing one’s mind regularly is a good thing?


----------------------

If the situations and results change, I don’t see any problem with changing one’s mind with the assessment of circumstances. Just to change one’s mind, however, as if a prescribed drill, is false practice, the way I look at it. I don’t think the underlying, essential truths ever change, but the events, times, and needs may. When that happens, it is fine to change one’s mind or course of action.

Possibly, the quote could be about staying informed and being on top of things mentally. I have no quarrel with that, but changing one’s mind just for the sake of change is feeling like some form of a mental instability to me.

I can see how and why the experts in science and history need to change their minds with the constant barrage of discoveries, newly found facts, and innovations. That is definitely a virtue for the advancement of our civilization.

What I don’t see is why I should change my moral code, way of life, my likes and dislikes in general, just to be fashionable in the so-called “thinking” world.

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864964-Changing-Ones-Mind