*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864216-MY-HALLOWEEN-IS-USUALLY-WHITE
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#864216 added October 26, 2015 at 7:16pm
Restrictions: None
MY HALLOWEEN IS USUALLY WHITE
PROMPT: What does Halloween look like in your area?
          Invariably, October 31st is wet and dreary; rain or snow in my neck of the woods. Here, in the near north of my Canadian province of Ontario, trick-or-treaters must garb themselves in a costume that fits over a snowsuit. Many in search of candy appear deceptively larger than normal.
          In recent years, I've noticed more home owners decorating for this spooky occasion. There are not just the carved pumpkins glowing with candles anymore. Thanks to the ready and inexpensive severed limbs, skulls, spiders, cobwebs, plastic blood stains, and witches/monsters available at the Dollar Store, more people seem to get in the bewitching spirit. Christmas is no longer the premier holiday for festive displays. For those who like to be noticed, there are now Halloween inflatables. Nothing demonstrates pride of home like a giant, billowing, black spider. Well, maybe a cackling or howling doormat is a slight bit more welcoming.
          Last All Hallow's Eve, my hubby witnessed an armed and uniformed police officer in hot pursuit of a runaway giant spider. At one point, the cop had to hastily park his cruiser, in favour of a foot race through several yards. I can't imagine that this officer radioed for assistance or shouted futile warnings to seize and desist. Apparently, he was successful in his apprehension of the menace, but the stubborn arachnid proved difficult to subdue. It struggled and strained mightily as it was stuffed into the back seat of the cop car.
         I reside in a rural village. Our homes are spread over a vast area so trick-or-treating usually involves the use of a vehicle and the services of a chauffeur. Door-to-door canvassing can be mile-to-mile, ( okay, kilometres).
          For several years, I helped organize a Halloween fun night at the local arena. Volunteers and I provided a respite from the miserable weather. Kids and adults could play games, show off their costumes, and receive even more treats. It was fun to decorate and create a spooky ambiance with muted lighting and a smoke machine. My favourite costume for myself saw me create a con-joined twin.
         During one day in August, a local campground sponsors Halloween-in-summer. What a treat not to have to dress for inclement weather and bundle up! I must say the costumes have shown great ingenuity. I still smile when I remember the little boy dressed as a garden gnome or the avid teenaged hockey fan parading around as the Stanley Cup.
          Local legions host Halloween parties for the adults and they are well attended. Villagers vie for a monetary prize and bragging rights. In the Best Group Costume category, the winners once spent the entire evening in character as a 'working' sofa. One man transformed himself into an outhouse complete with a swinging door and a full roll of trailing toilet paper. Unfortunately, and ironically, he could not sit down. Another intrepid young man partied as a portable shower and he would invite women to join him inside his shower curtain, standing under a genuine shower head. He supplied plastic shower caps, too.
         So, my neighbours and I have our fingers crossed. Ideally, we don't want snow, but if it insists upon making an appearance, could it NOT blizzard? Toques and mitts ruin the looks of witches and goblins.

© Copyright 2015 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864216-MY-HALLOWEEN-IS-USUALLY-WHITE