*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/863692-I-STARTED-OUT-WITH-NOTHINGAND-I-STILL-HAVE-MOST-OF-IT-LEFT
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#863692 added October 21, 2015 at 8:45pm
Restrictions: None
I STARTED OUT WITH NOTHING,AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
         When my hubby and I were joined in matrimony many years ago one of the first things we did to consolidate our affairs was to open a joint chequing account. The natty little cover for the blank cheques sported a pithy saying, 'easy come, easier go'. Oh, how true this proved to be. Earning our money involved a great deal of labour, but the spending of it was effortless. This is where the real controversy lies; when and if to spend. Money is not the root of all evil, money makes the world go round. Whether a fortune or not, money is necessary. It covers the base necessities and services.
          For a good part of our union , my partner has been self-employed. This meant relying upon customers to pay their bills. Cash was not always proffered or accepted. Bartering became perfectly respectable and practical. A new roof for our house in exchange for bodywork and paint for the roofer's car; damaged by his daughter, and wishing to avoid an insurance claim. Produce from a Mennonite farmer needing some welding work.
         With our children out on their own, we down-sized to an apartment. We willingly relinquished home ownership and we now see it as an escape from a financial burden. No longer are we slaves to a mortgage, repairs, and enormous utility bills. We live in comfort knowing that our landlord handles the necessary headaches for maintenance while we have more freedom. There are no surprise expenses or increased taxes. Our leisure time is truly ours now, too. When we wish to travel, we lock the door and go.
         
         I certainly did not marry for money. My family is my wealth, and I truly believe this. Learning to appreciate and be grateful for what I do have is priceless. My husband likes to remind me that half of nothing is still nothing, and it's a 'nothing' we share.
         I'm not anticipating an inheritance, not of money any way. My parents contributed to my gene pool and my upbringing. Wits, charm. personality, and a work ethic are my behests. My children can expect the same. Money earned is more valuable than money bequeathed.
         It has been said that the only sure things in life are Death and taxes; reality is so stark. Sure, I expect that someday I will die. Before that happens, I plan to enjoy my money as much as I can. I may simply choose to live quietly, or blow it all travelling; I haven't decided yet. I am well aware that when I perish, I cannot take it with me. For the foreseeable future this sustains me: I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

© Copyright 2015 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/863692-I-STARTED-OUT-WITH-NOTHINGAND-I-STILL-HAVE-MOST-OF-IT-LEFT