*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861339-Lighting-Tomorrow-with-Today
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#861339 added September 30, 2015 at 12:41pm
Restrictions: None
Lighting Tomorrow with Today
Prompt: "Light tomorrow with today." Elizabeth Barrett Browning What do you think this means?

==============

The poet wants to point to the fact that what happens today has an effect on tomorrow; therefore, she is telling her readers that their words and actions in the present will have a serious effect on what happens in the future. This is especially true with learning and personal growth, because from what one invests in himself, he can reap the fruits later. This also has to do with a person’s finding out what his gift is, so he can mold himself into the more productive person that he’ll become in the future.

So far so good; however, even if I understand what Elizabeth Barrett Browning means and accept the fact that our todays may affect our tomorrows, I have to make an exception for the unexpected dios ex machina type of events that may take place in our future. For example, just think of what is happening to the people of Syria, today. Did those poor folks cause what is taking place now by their earlier actions? Then think back to pre-World War II Germany. To say that the German Jews caused what happened to them by their previous actions would be outrageous, wouldn’t it?

Significant decisions of the present, however, such as a careful career selection or change, taking care of financial matters, and repairing what is starting to fall down do make for a better tomorrow. Still, no one knows what the future brings. People can do everything in their power to make their future perfect, and things still might not work well for them. In short, nothing is perfect on this planet, and everything in life cannot be simplified with and reduced to a short dictum.

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861339-Lighting-Tomorrow-with-Today