*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857064-What-Constitutes-a-Good-Debate
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#857064 added August 10, 2015 at 7:39pm
Restrictions: None
What Constitutes a Good Debate
Prompt: Debating
“In a battle of believability, the winner is the one with the best body language, not the clearest logic.” ― Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not FOR SALE
Do you think it is an acceptable practice to stretch truths or use effective body language in order to win debates?


----------------------

No, I don’t think so. although stretching truths and using excessive body language in order to win seems to be the political norm these days; this type of a practice, however, cannot be called a debate. It has to be called a low-grade reality show specially designed along cheap brain-washing goals that look down on the audience as an idiotic herd of sheep.

In a true debate, the topic is clearly defined and no personal attacks on any of the debaters by the organizers or by the other debaters are allowed, as the topic or the issue at hand carries the utmost importance. If a debater has a personal flaw, the audience will catch on to it from the words said. There is no need to highlight anyone’s flaws or make the debate an unsavory experience for the audience.

The debate organizers should not force a win or channel the flow of the debate toward the way they want it to go, as this is not a very respectable practice either. Reason dictates that the debaters are expected by the audience to support their contentions and opinions with well-known, well-studied facts. Personal or rhetorical questions have no place in a good debate. Even in informal debating, clarity and civility need to be observed by the debaters. Rebuttals and counterarguments can always be presented in a civilized fashion.

Passionate speech and using body language while presenting an argument is fine, but even passionate words have to be truthful and the body language respectful of everyone concerned. In addition, the debaters, in a timed debate, must be careful not to run overtime in order not to be cut off. In short, discipline and civility is the main requirement for the organizers and debaters alike.

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857064-What-Constitutes-a-Good-Debate