*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839347-Audience--Wishes-n-Inspiration--Funny-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#839347 added January 23, 2015 at 9:33pm
Restrictions: None
Audience , Wishes 'n Inspiration & Funny Friday
Today's blogs...

Blog City – Day 325


"My story was a complete success. The audience was a failure." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant
Prompt: When you sit down to blog or write a short story do you consider what the audience expectations are? How important are each word, sentence when it comes to your target audience? If not, who are you writing for?


I know some profess to write to a particular audience... one that will read your work and spread their enjoyment to others so that it can find success - and that is good advise, but I often find I write for myself and my enjoyment.

When writing fiction or poetry, I write for myself. I let what the muse has to say, have its say... especially during the first drafts. There is power in not curtailing the muse; not restricting her or self - censoring your thoughts and ideas.

When I write my blog and will consider my audience to a point - I want to pass a little humour out into the vast sea of words. Give my readers some enjoyment, but I also find that it starts with me. It starts with what I find amusing or interesting and I write like I would be talking to someone who would be interested as well.

I have been known to ramble on and have someone say, "Carolyn are you talking to me?" and my response is, "If you are willing to listen, I am, but it doesn't matter if you aren't."

Sometimes I will write about something thinking in the back of my mind that 'a certain someone who has read my blog before' will like - that is because we have developed a bit of a community here. I try to read certain bloggers as much as possible - sometimes I comment, sometimes I merely LIKE their response and sometimes I just read for the joy of reading their take on something. Lately I have not been doing that as much and I need to get back to it - with feeling ill with this flu, I have hung back a bit.

If the topic is more controversial, I tend to consider my words more carefully. I do not want to offend or show up my lack of knowledge in the area - I will often admit to my limited knowledge. Some topics I am passionate about and I want to inspire, but not overwhelm. I share and hope it sparks a conversation where I can add more with someone willing to hear more.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Fifty – Seven


I initially thought prompts 4 and 5 would be so easy, but here I am again today staring at them and trying to think just what to say....

4. A genie grants you three writing related wishes, what are they and why?

Talent, Persistence and Published novels. A way to write without worry and the knowledge that it will be published and become successful granting me further publishing success so that I could live comfortably.

5. Talk about three other writers who inspire you.

First, given that I love reading and writing romance into my stories, I would have to say Jill Shalvis inspires me. Her stories are contemporary romances. Her characters are authentically real and the humour she spills onto the page makes me want to get to know these characters. She also began writing when she had small children and her writing was a way to find sanity in the young mother life. Like her stories, she seems real and is willing to share the 'I Love Lucy' moments of her life - they often wind up in her stories.

Second, I find I get inspired from author's who give great advise in print. Elizabeth Berg wrote Escaping Into The Open: The Art of Writing True. I found her writing style more in tune with mine and I got a lot of out her advise and writing exercises. Jerry Cleaver also wrote an excellent writing book - Immediate Fiction. Practical and no nonsense as well. Both of these books will join the ranks of my 'permanent' writing reference file. I am sure I will turn to them often when I need a little inspiration to get me back on track.

Third, this is more a group of writers. I find so many people here at WDC inspire me. They inspire me to keep at it - in their reviews, while commenting on my blog or just on my Notebook. They inspire me by their own written pieces - I learn a lot from reviewing others. They inspire me with challenges I may not try on my own. They inspire me by being my friends and that means so much - being surrounded by like - minded souls who scribble and play with words - Let's me know I am not alone and I too have something to offer.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge


This is your prompt: Tell us that story about yourself or a family member that is sure to give us a chuckle.

This morning I am not feeling all that funny. My memories feel flat and dark and that is not helpful I expect I will have to try this prompt later in the day when my mind feels more malleable to the idea of being funny.

I thought of something on my way to work.

I have a client that I have been working with for almost 20 years (January25). In my early years working with him I would find we did a lot of trail hiking. If he was finding himself getting silly and unable to refocus himself, I found these nature trails with plenty of exposed tree roots a great place for him to refocus and concentrate. To give you a clearer picture, this young man has autism - which makes him silly at times and he also has cerebral palsy which requires him to focus on uneven terrain in order to walk. I should also explain that when I say silly I mean a weird giggle that sounds different from his usual chuckle. It was hard for him to stop once he had gotten started. Sometimes math sheets (his favourite activity) helped. Many times he was able to get himself back on track, but on occasion he needed something more than telling him that "silly boys did not get to go swimming".

One day I took him out to one of our favourite hilly areas. I told him he needed to be careful or he could fall. I also told him if he was being silly I would not help him if he went to fall. (I did not take him on any scary hilly sections, just one with lots of tree roots.) Well, he learned this lesson very quickly - one race down a hill and a face plant for him to realize I was completely serious.

He gets rid of those silly giggles right away as soon as we get to the trails now. Now that he is older he knows enough to tell himself to calm down and does very well. It is funny to watch him sign to himself to calm down.

The funniest part of this was telling my mother. She could not believe I would do this to my sweet little client. She had never experienced the silly giggles.

I know a lot of children with autism. This worked for my client. It is not something I would try with anyone else unless it had the possibility of working. I knew my client was a quick learner and that facing a natural consequence for his silliness was the best course of action for him. We had also built up a trust base so he knew he could count on me. When we usually did these hills I would take the lead and encourage him to hold my waist - if I did not specify he would pinch and squeeze at my arms. If he is not silly, he will ask for assistance if he needs it.

© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839347-Audience--Wishes-n-Inspiration--Funny-Friday