*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838903-Showing-a-Character-Laughing
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#838903 added January 18, 2015 at 11:40am
Restrictions: None
Showing a Character Laughing
Exaggeration and ridicule are two of the most used elements of jokes, especially when they involve the people or events in the present or very near future. Making a joke about the Romans in the twenty-first century would hardly get a few chuckles unless the comedian attaches it to something or someone involving the here-and-now. Another way to tickle the funny bone is by reversal of expectations.

Suppose using these and other ways, the writer has created a funny section in the story and has to show the readers that the characters have understood the joke of the matter. How will the writer handle this?

Some writers choose onomatopoeia, which is using imitated sounds of laughter. “tee hee” "heh heh" “ha ha ha” etc. But doesn’t this cheapen the writing somewhat?

If not that, what other ways can we show the characters laughing? I guess we can say things like: ”he chuckled” “shook with laughter” “snickered” “roared with laughter” “convulsed with laughter” etc. There are several ways, verbs, and phrases of showing a character laughing. Still, they are limited in number and have already become clichés. So, "he laughed” is enough according to some teachers of the craft.

Thus, “he laughed, she laughed” goes the way of the dialogue tags, the way “he said, she said” has replaced the rest. Still, using other verbs and phrases, however sparingly, should add to the beauty of the prose, I think.

What do you think on this subject? How should we show a character laughing?

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838903-Showing-a-Character-Laughing