*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838624-Mother-Goose-the-Author-in-Mother-Goose-Land
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#838624 added January 14, 2015 at 1:14pm
Restrictions: None
Mother Goose, the Author, in Mother-Goose Land
Prompt: You are transported to the land of Mother Goose and nursery rhymes for the weekend. What happened? Write a story, poem or whatever you want about this.

--------------

I felt as if I were in a Disney movie when I saw this prompt. Another minute or two later, I thought it had the potential of a great children’s movie.

Then, when I looked into it, I found out this had already been done, first in 1933, as an animated black and white film, Mother Goose Land. According to IMBD, “In response to Betty Boop's wish, Mother Goose materializes from a book cover and gives her a tour; she's chased by Miss Muffet's spider, who proves to be amorous, not predatory.”

You can watch this movie, here:
http://fullonlimefreemovie.freewebsite.biz/streaming-free/mother-goose-land-1485...

Then there is the Paramount cartoon, Little Audry: Goofy Goofy Gander (1950) from the archives of Film Chest Vintage Cartoons. In this cartoon, “Little Audrey, in the schoolroom, is sent to the corner stool to memorize Mother Goose rhymes. She falls asleep and dreams that she gets a tour of Mother Goose Land by Mother Goose herself. Comic book criminals sneak into Mother Goose Land and attempt to steal the goose who lays golden eggs. Audrey captures them and then wakes up.”

You can now watch this one in YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmPJAHqY4IY

Then the Iowans among us would know of the public Fejervary Park in Davenport, Iowa where the entrance of the park has a huge Mother Goose door. I guess we could call that park a Mother Goose Land, also.

And why all this excitement over Mother Goose? I think because Mother Goose is kind and friendly, and she never lets her young friends down. Be it in the moving pictures or in our imagination, to visit any Mother Goose Land and never meet Mother Goose herself could be a major letdown.

In Wikia, Mother Goose is described as: "Mother Goose was a short, stout elderly woman. She had curly gray hair under a pointed black pilgrim hat that had a silver buckle on the front. She wore a baggy green dress with a white ruffled collar, large boots, and thick aviator goggles around her eyes. She always carried round a hip-flask.

She is also described as being a handful."


Now, there’s an interesting woman for you, with flask and all. Plus, she tells all these rhyming stories. She is an author who’s made it big, not only in her time but for eternity.

Wouldn’t any author of our day, no matter how high-brow he or she is, wish to make it as big as Mother Goose?

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838624-Mother-Goose-the-Author-in-Mother-Goose-Land