*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/837813-Subtext-in-Writing
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#837813 added January 4, 2015 at 12:44pm
Restrictions: None
Subtext in Writing
I think subtext is so important in writing, be it poetry or prose; although in Lit classes, students are asked to figure out the subtext when they read, it is only slightly touched upon as to how to write it, but not really emphasized by the creative writing teachers. The exception to this is metaphors, as metaphor is a form of subtext. I wonder if this is because they think a good writer will come upon the idea of subtext and develop it on his own. Maybe, but I think everything can be taught.

In drama classes and stage arts, however, subtext is very important and is taught well, because a screen story’s most profound and memorable actions simply and strongly suggest what is not seen and not heard.

Subtext in writing is content underneath the content. It may be unspoken in dialogue, but it is well understood. It could be an idea that unfolds as the story progresses. It is the conflict, love, anger, competition, jealousy, showing off and many other emotions that are hinted at inside the unspoken thoughts and motives of characters. It can also be used to sneak in social or political commentary through character action or some other element of writing. Without subtext, there would be no stand-up comedy or profound drama.

*Here are a couple of exercises for developing subtext: These will be stories at the developmental stage or close to their ending.

1. Begin a story with an action that suggests some kind of motivation but don’t disclose what that motivation is (even to yourself). Let the story unfold on its own. Possibly you’ll discover why the character did what she did in the opening.

2. Write down two or three questions. Start a story and let those questions operate underneath the action, but don’t ever refer to the questions or give their answers openly, so the readers can suspect a reason existing under the ways characters are acting, but they don’t quite know what the reason is.

If you wish, finish the stories later, anyway you like.


*These two exercises, I copied from an MFA book, which I don’t have and can’t remember the title of the book, but I think they may be useful for us.

© Copyright 2015 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/837813-Subtext-in-Writing