*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/832854-Trends-and-Halloween
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#832854 added October 31, 2014 at 12:54pm
Restrictions: None
Trends and Halloween
PROMPT:
Let's talk about trends: In my grandmother's house she had all kinds of white milk glass decorative vases and bowls everywhere. I thought they were ugly. I am not a fan of white. What about yours? At the time, it didn't seem ugly. Like most trends, it was in fashion, and everyone was doing it -- What three popular trends that are happening now do you think will not survive?
Bonus question: When you were a kid did houses decorate for Halloween like they do now? Is this another trend or do you think it will last?



*Pumpkin* *Witch* *Wind* *Witch* *Witch* *Wind* *Witch* *Witch* *Wind* *Witch* *Pumpkin*




As the maxim says, “History repeats itself.” I think it does, at least some of the time. A trend, by its very nature, is something that will pass; although, every once in a while, it can become a classic, like Tony Bennett. This is a rare happening, however, as not all trends are musical stars.

Sometimes, when a trend becomes the accepted norm, it may still be in danger, like the copyright laws. No copyrights existed in the earlier days of history. Then came the inflexible copyright rules. Today, however, copyright is in mortal danger, especially concerning the multimedia digital works. For example, while Hollywood studios have been employing stringent copyright regimes for decades, they have become powerless against Creative Commons breaking into their empires. Creative Commons, among other things that it does, lets artists have the choice to agree for customers to sample music.

As to which three trends that I think won’t survive, I really can’t tell since I am no prophet. But there are three trends I wish wouldn’t last much longer.

First trend that shouldn’t stick around is the slick journalism of drama queens and kings. I sincerely hope the journalists and newspaper and electronic media publishers will return to the days of serious news reporting.

Gluten hating is another trend that is going to leave its place to another no-no food, I think. It has to. Look what happened to eggs and fats.

The third one, I believe will be those Jelly Sandals and Overalls for women. As ladies look awful in them, I hope they’ll go the way of corsets and knickers.

As to decorating houses on Halloween, I am not too keen on it because fires and other mishaps such as people falling off roofs and breaking limbs and backs happen all the time.

Still, I think decorating houses on Holidays will stay, but the kinds of decorations used may change. Way back when, I recall, spooky window silhouettes and turning the backyards into graveyards was the norm with large black cat figures in between the headstones. When my children were small, we used to hang a jointed skeleton on the door that looked lifelike, and I also remember the Papier Mache Lanterns that rattled. We didn’t have the electrically decorated stuff on Halloween, as I grew up in a middle to upper middle class environment where most people were careful with money and using electricity. I am sure, however, many people with real money might have used electricity for this purpose.

As for today, wherever you are, however you decorate, and whichever candy or treats you hand out, I wish all my blogging friends a fun-filled Halloween.

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/832854-Trends-and-Halloween