*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831132-Changing-Times-and-Halloween-Candy
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#831132 added October 14, 2014 at 11:52am
Restrictions: None
Changing Times and Halloween Candy

In the olden times, there were two kinds of offerings by two kinds of neighbors to trick-or-treaters. Those I’ll call the originals baked cookies, cupcakes, and candied apples and offered them to the tiny witches and goblins. Those who I call the lazy squares gave away the store-bought candy. The first kind, the originals, have always been my favorites because nothing can equal the love put in those home-made goodies. Not only that, but also they tasted heavenly. Well…usually.

Now that our cult of civilization has replaced the originals totally and is in the process of replacing the lazy squares, my doorbell is rung fewer times on Halloween. Do I blame this change? Definitely not. It is needed. Good for those parents who are vigilant and entertain their children with house parties, as that may be the only way to fight against the inner confusion and thoughts of evil inside our societies that poison our trust of each other as well as placing broken glass and razor pieces inside little children’s candy.

Looking at the situation from the opposite side, the difficulty of life--with its hassles, longings, problems, soul-withering sorrows and the lack of acceptance of those--shows itself in the criminal behavior toward little children.

Can we return to the way we were? Impossible, I think. Traditional holidays are on the brink of getting lost totally. We’ve reached the end of our rope, and something or somethings are not right with our lives.

Still, I am going to buy the best candy I can afford and wait for the tiny ones, come Halloween.

------------

Prompt: Let's talk about Halloween candy. Favorite, worst, or fond memories of a particular treat - share with us.

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831132-Changing-Times-and-Halloween-Candy