*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828841-Fairness-Numbers-Passions--Education
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#828841 added September 23, 2014 at 11:20am
Restrictions: None
Fairness, Numbers, Passions & Education
Today blog's....

Blog City – Day 204


Prompt: There's no such thing as fair. Agree? Disagree? Tap out a few words about it.

Fair does not mean equal. In the case of special education it may mean someone gets more teacher instruction or educational assistant help, whereas another student may work alone or with a small group. To the child, it may not seem fair, but to the teacher who is trying to balance her time and her resources, it may be the fairest way to meet your student needs.

I have had students who write at a much lower level than they speak. Having access to technology that can let them use a computer program like Dragon Speak, can let them achieve their potential that simply writing would not give them. To other students, this may seem unfair, but they are not the ones with the need. Letting them know we all learn differently and that we need to respect differences will hopefully pave the way for acceptance and build a sense of community within the classroom.

With my Special Services at Home client, he has autistic tendencies, cerebral palsy and profound deafness. His brothers thought it was unfair that he had a worker that came to do fun things with him. As they grew older they realized, their brother did not have the same freedom to go off down the street to play with other kids. He needed adult supervision and guidance to interact, they did not. Their resentment of me lessened and fell away as they realized I was just a β€˜friend’ their brother had. Without my involvement, their brother would spend all his time hanging out with their mother. They realized that would not be such a fun thing, either. They were always welcome to join us, but they preferred their own friends.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge


War Chest Tuesday
Is there a particular number that has any special significance to you? Maybe it's an old address, a jersey number, or a date...take us down your memory lane and tell us about why that number means something to you.


Numbers have a way of becoming the fabric framework around my mind. They often stick. As a child, I lived in a small town. A town where the post office had those metal boxes lining the walls outside the main part of the building. Mail was delivered to these if you lived outside of town - as I am thinking, they got door to door delivery in town - but I am not sure about that. Our box was 1613. I did not like the number, but it was ours. It defined our family. Unlucky 13 and eventually a broken home. Our phone number 647 - 6645 - also defined us. My best friend's was 647 - 6667. I have no recollection of my mother's phone number after my parents separated. Interesting, that. Everyone had the same first three digits - as the town was small - barely 5000 people. Today, I have no idea who has those numbers, but the 647 is on my license plate along with letters that allow me to conjure the words Book Power. I love it.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Forty


4. What did your education not prepare you for as an adult?

The academics of it all is wonderful. To get lost in the theories and ruminate on the hypothetical, but real life requires applicable knowledge and my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Sociology did not give me that. Teacher's College had an applicable component in having 'Practicum Teaching' time - we were integrated into a classroom with a mentor teacher, but not all mentor teacher were created alike. Some did not like giving up the control in their classroom. I was lucky. My practicum teacher mentors were very good, but not everyone was as lucky. I was supposed to be teaching almost completely by the last session, but my mentor did not want to give up that much control. I still learned a lot from watching her.

But real teaching takes the mentor out of the room and classroom management becomes a challenge. You need to establish it and stay consistent - hard to do when you start doing daily supply work. Everyday is a new class and a new, fresh start. You need to establish yourself as the authority and take the lead when the unknown is a huge component. The dynamics of the classroom is not something that can be taught. It must be experienced and every classroom dynamic is different. Each child brings their own story to the mix and as a supply, you need to pick up on as many of those as possible. Some teachers leave copious notes... others, do not. You are flung into the mix and you either sink or swim. Being able to go to the same classrooms often helps develop your rapport, but it is a challenge.

Life is learn as you go. Education sets the underlying framework and hopefully teaches you to use your mind, not just regurgitate facts. Education teaches you to work with others, as well as, perform independently (hopefully). From there, you are sent out into the world to sink or swim. Students and children who have been catered to will not do as well as those who have been encouraged to try on their own. Children who feel entitled will face the hardest reality of 'you're on your own'... and I have heard there have been more cases of young twenty-somethings feeling lost and adrift once the demands of real life set in - they don't know how to do anything for themselves because their parents have always stepped in.

We need to guide them and then give up the reins so that they can test their wings in a safe, secure environment before facing the reality of being out there, As teachers, we need to do the same thing. Working together ensures the future.

1. Tell us one thing that you are passionate about and why. Perhaps it is a cause, work, hobby, or activity just to name a few.

This carries in from the prompt before. Teaching and guiding is one of my passions. I just wish I was in a position to make teaching a more permanent aspect of my life - I am still on the daily supply list, but hoping to one day have my own classroom and students to nurture and develop.

With supply work, I do have time to develop my other passion and that is writing. Each day, I come to the page whether my muse is awake, slumbering or absent. I engage and face the page and, if she has not already joined me, my muse sparks up and plays along. Some days, she doesn't make an appearance and those days are dull and the writing is boggy, but I have still showed up. Many days she comes and finds the light and fun. I am blessed that she engages and I am careful not to take advantage. My muse needs time to play beyond the writing. Time to recharge and refill the well with creative sparks and delights. I need to remember that and in doing so, I try to take time to explore and enjoy the world around me - both the natural and the moments of life. Gathering bits and pieces of life all for the good of my craft.

I am blessed and for that I am grateful and thankful. I give praise and thanks to my Creator, God who has given me my gifts and talents and guided me to use them for good.

So there you have my passions - Teaching, Writing and my Spiritual Connectedness to God

© Copyright 2014 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828841-Fairness-Numbers-Passions--Education