*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828353-Writers-Discussion-Castaway-Requests--Shared-Writing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#828353 added September 17, 2014 at 12:22pm
Restrictions: None
Writer's Discussion, Castaway, Requests & Shared Writing
Today's blogs...

30 Day Blogging Challenge


Wednesday Writer’s Discussion
Peter Rubin says, "The story is not what happens, the story is who happens too." By this he means, readers need to be engaged in the lives of the people they read about before the author thinks about the plot/story. Do you agree? Which is more important having really interesting characters or a really exciting plot? Do you think First, Second or Third person makes the characters more realistic to your writing. Last question, he indicates the hook is what makes your writing relevant. What do you think?


I tend to be character driven... or I like to think I am character driven. People or characters, if you will, are the essence of all I hold dear. I want my readers to feel and identify with my character. Sure, what happens is important, as well, but without a character to identify with, who cares. The challenge is loving your character, but still putting them through what happens to make them react and do things that will pull the reader along for the ride. Conflict is necessary, there must be a desired want that is in conflict with an equally huge obstacle. The reader must identify with the character and experience all the emotions and sensations the character is emitting. The writer must convey their story world in full viewing colour - the whole importance of showing versus telling. The reader wants the full effect - to be moved by the character and their story.

As for first, second or third person perspective... I think a good story will dictate what it needs. Playing with the points of view can help to find the one that works best. I would be in a quandary to pick just one. First person is intimate and close. Second gives a bit of distance with he/she - you are out of the pocket but still close. Third person gives the most distance, a pulled back stance with more objectivity. Each story will call for its point of view - listen and play with your alternatives. One will throb with energy, while the others fall away.

A hook... something needs to snatch your reader in and hold them. Starting in the middle of the action has power. What is relevant? This is where I am curious what others deem important - what is happening steps up and bangs the who on the head. It's all on from there.

Border for my personal use.


Blog City – Day 198


Prompt: Would you rather be on Gilligan's Island or Survivor?

Interesting wee question. My first thought is Survivor because you are not lost with no hope of being found. You are a 'reality' show with many behind the scenes people that can skirt you off and away when necessary, but Gilligan's Island was fictional fun. No harm in that... not really castaways, but cast members playing parts and returning to cozy beds each night. Now that has a better ring to it. That could sway me... besides with the Professor around to devise interesting gadgets life didn't look so bad.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Thirty – Nine


2. Most celebrities have a 'rider' - a list of requests that must be fulfilled before their arrival at a performance. Some riders are bizarre, some are thoughtful... What would you set for your rider? Be creative.

I looked through some of these lists of requests....some are rather zany and odd, others not so weird. A new toilet seat installed may seem a bit odd but in a germie world... not so bad.. Door handle's cleaned every two hours (A Timberlake request). Hang, I think I would be happy with bottled water and some good coffee. Maybe a quiet moment to gather my thoughts before going out to read from my novel or my selection of poems.

6. Share some of your favourite writing - yours or someone else's (preferably both!).

Lately I have been writing a lot of poetry. I also find other members on this site inspire me with their creations. I had a list of poetry that I was creating on another of my blogs... I won't put them here, but I will pick a few I liked....

An entry to the Dark Dreamscapes contest.
STATIC
Moving Towards The Future  (E)
Moving from the darkness of a painful past into the future with hope.
#2000231 by πŸ’™ Carly

It is a poem that moves from darkness into light. From a troubled past to a hopeful future.

STATIC
Friendship  (E)
The importance of Friendship. A poem written for PDG Alumni Contest.
#2006396 by πŸ’™ Carly
a poem about the importance of friendship

 
STATIC
An Ode to Writing.com in Acrostic Form  (E)
Writing in tribute to the wonderfulness of Writing.com in Acrostic Form
#2009626 by πŸ’™ Carly
is an acrostic tribute poem to WDC

This is a slight variation of the last poem with the D standing in for the dot.

An Ode to Writing.com in Acrostic Form

Writers flock from across the world,
Reviewing and reflecting
Integral; it is has become my cyber home;
The place to connect and share.
Inspiring, we each find our way.
Newbies soon discover their place,
Gathering with like minded friends.
Daring us to take on new adventures,
Challenging each other to reach new heights,
Offering comfort and encouragement;
Motivating each one of us to grow as a writer and friend.

An acrostic of 10 lines using WRITINGDCOM
I'd be curious which version you would like.

As for other writer's work... to pick without making this blog run on...
Let's go with πŸŒ• HuntersMoon as I am always amazed at how he can craft a poem. A sample - "Invalid Item. Ken often tries a variety of poetic forms and includes an explanation of the form. I love seeing a current example of the form and appreciate his work and the lessons he teaches me and the inspiration it brings.

If I were to pick a blog... would go with Mitchopolis and Charlie ~ who never fail to make me smile, chuckle or laugh outright. I appreciate their humour and take on life.

πŸŒ‘ Darleen - QoD always encourages and inspires me. Her contests get me in gear. "Invalid Item. A lovely sample of her work... "Invalid Item

© Copyright 2014 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/828353-Writers-Discussion-Castaway-Requests--Shared-Writing