*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827984-Tri-County--Once-Upon-a-Time
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#827984 added September 13, 2014 at 10:53am
Restrictions: None
Tri-County--Once Upon a Time
The last time I went to a flea market was thirty or thirty-five years ago in Smithtown, LI. This indoor flea market was called, I believe, TriCounty on 25 A after the Smithtown Bull. It is not there anymore or it must have moved as a Google Search only gave a TriCounty Flea Market in Levittown.

My TriCounty of yore must have had at least a hundred vendors and the place was open three days a week. The rent mustn't have been much because there were lots of craftsman. The vendors had cubicles or stalls, and there wasn't anything you couldn't find there: jewelry, mood rings, crystals, school stuff, kitchen utensils, furniture, bric-a-brac, clothing and lots of it. Most of the things were brand new. Come to think of it, I cannot remember one vendor selling anything used; antiques, yes, but no used clothing or shoes.

Something happened there all the time. That was the fun part. Sometimes it would be vendors fighting with each other; other times it would be the guards escorting people out for reckless behavior. The main thing was, I could watch people at their best and at their worst. Greed seemed to be reigning queen of emotions, but once in a while, a vendor would grant a little kid a small toy or a lollipop, and I'd hear one woman telling another woman she just met the private stuff that went on in her house. Once, a rat ran across the middle of the place, making everyone scream.

I know I bought school supplies for my kids and gold chains for myself, but I never bought anything I didn't examine first. I always like to see what I am buying. Even in the mall, these days, I make the cashier open the box for me if something I am purchasing is in a box.

I don't go to flea markets or fairs anymore, which is a loss for me. The walking and the crowds get to me, although I miss the interaction of the people with each other and the pseudo-clever vendors with their unique approaches to advertising, be it pushiness, flattery, or downright humor.


         Tips for Flea Market Vendors

1. Find out the market and what you'd like to sell. Pre-examine your market, similar vendors, best location, the population, trends, and the product quality and prices.
2. Find out which services the flea-market owners provide to the vendors.
3. Depending on where and which state you are in, make sure every legal thing is in order such as tax ID number or resale license.
4. Try to reserve a booth as close to the entrance as you can, and pay for your spot in advance if possible.
5. If given a choice, choose the highest traffic booth space, and use colorful, neat, eye-catching posters and signs.
6. Invest in folding tables and chairs, a canopy if the place is outdoors, or anything else you might need. Also, don't forget your business cards, pen and a note-pad or a receipt book, marking pens, price stickers, tape, paper towels, and a small dish with wrapped hard candy or mints for kids and adults alike.
7. If you need electricity, bring extension cords to the available outlets.
8. Get to the place early and begin your setup so you'll be ready when the customers begin to arrive. Make sure your items are priced right.
9. Make up a cash box ahead of time with plenty of change, coins and dollar bills, and wear an apron with large pockets to not open the cashbox unnecessarily or leave the it unattended.
10. Bring more than you intend to sell, and consider accepting credit cards for more business.
11. Try to bring a co-worker or friend for helping you and for watching out for shoplifters.
12. Pack your own food and drink in a cooler. Although there may be food vendors there, you may not be able to leave your booth.
13. Keep track of accounts, customer and inventory records.
14. Customer service is crucial. Be upfront with customers if an item is damaged or if you won't haggle, and wait until a customer hones in on a specific item before offering your comments.

-------------------------

It's Saturday and the flea market is open. What treasures did you discover? Do you actively look for certain items? Or do you buy closed boxes because you like mysteries? What kind of shopper are you?

Don't forget your list.


© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827984-Tri-County--Once-Upon-a-Time