*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827763-Aye-Aye-We-Weigh-Anchor
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#827763 added September 10, 2014 at 4:07pm
Restrictions: None
Aye, Aye! We Weigh Anchor!
Oh those Anglicans! I'll be well rid of them in the new continent. Holland was our better choice; however, that didn't pan out well. It might be wilderness where we're heading, but at this point, it is prudent to leave the country I thought would be true to me.

So far, we had just one crosswind, and the ship was shaken, but it has been fair winds and weather mostly. Fare Thee Well, Good Ole England!

Although our experience on the Speedwell had been a fiasco, I had been eager to try again. I had to, since what happened in Speedwell had been my fault, but that is for me to know.

You see, on Speedwell, they had given me the worst job, since I couldn't afford the fare for the passage. I was to guard the boxes and other stored items in the bottom of the boat. As I was suffering from an affliction that had to do with the calls of nature, I couldn't quite make it to the deck to relieve myself, and the chamberpot given to me would fill up after two voidings. So I discreetly lifted a plank and opened a hole on the side of the ship.

Oh, the relief! But then, Speedwell started to fill up with water. Although the water rose slowly and the men at the pumps worked harder than ever, there was no way to handle the water coming in. When I and my chums moved the cargo and the boxes, we saw other holes underneath the vessel. We plugged those real tight, but to no avail.

"The hull's worn out. That's why," said the captain. The ship had to return to Southampton. I do feel somewhat responsible for the leak, because no one found out the hole under the plank, but showing it to them would incriminate me. So I kept my mouth shut. Not something to be proud of for someone Godly, but it worked for the better.

For my valiant effort in plugging the Speedwell's other holes in the hull and alerting the crew to the leak, and especially as the special work of Providence on my behalf, I was again given free passage on the Mayflower together with the 101 passengers. The voyage is said to take two months and more days, but I feel the joy of the new land running in my blood already. A dangerous journey for sure, but God willing, Mayflower will make it.

A ship is a harbor to find refuge on rough waters, and may this fine ship sail under the Providence's guiding light!

We left the motherland on September 6. Today is September 10. It is only four days, but this time I requested a deck job. Being a gentleman's servant was another option, but luckily, a deckhand succumbed to his wife's broom and I could fill his spot.

I am only hoping I won't be swept off to the sea. As anyone should fear God's wrath, especially a sinner such as I.

Note: Sorry for the modernized version of my language. Even if I had time for it, my real Pilgrim talk would sail by us all (pun intended).

------

What did Mayflower lack, which would make the real me not set foot on it?

1. Wi-Fi
2. My Laptop and my e-readers
3. Toilet Tissues and Kleenex
4. Nice clothes, not the kind the Pilgrims wore. I would go for the Irish stockings, though.
5. Sandals and Sneakers—I would hate those buckled shoes
6. Radio
7. My music CDs
8. My Ginsu knife for the kitchen
9. Decent bedding. I couldn't possibly sleep on a straw mattress with its canvas covering.
10. My Writer's Digest books
11. My favorite books by Dean Koontz, Pat Conroy, Anita Shreve, etc.
12. Deodorant and Febreze: Everything and everyone smelled on the ship
13. A private cabin. Everyone slept in between the decks.
14. Smooth sailing. That ship rocked something awful.


------------------------

Prompt: Pretend you were on the Mayflower on that first voyage to settle in America. Describe how your felt leaving England and seeing your new home.

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827763-Aye-Aye-We-Weigh-Anchor