*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827060-Maybe-a-Penthouse-in-Manhattan
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#827060 added September 3, 2014 at 11:31am
Restrictions: None
Maybe a Penthouse in Manhattan?
I never thought about or wished for living in a larger or more ornate house than mine, not that mine is ornate or too large. I’m perfectly fine where I am and it is difficult to pick some other house, really.

However, if I were infinitely rich (in monetary terms), I would probably like to live in a penthouse in Manhattan, one that is mostly glass all around, to view the whole city with the sky itself providing the natural lighting. Something like in the image down.

It would be nice if it were to have an outdoor terrace or large enough balcony to eat, read, and take in the city from the top; Even if that outdoor space in the city tends to be windy, and the higher you go, the windier it gets. Then, maybe I’d let my hair grow and pull it back in a ponytail. An old woman with a ponytail should look like some kind of refuse, but who cares!

On the negative side, from what I hear, there may be lots of issues with leaks and downstairs neighbors, and coop boards who are lax with the repairs. Plus, running the AC and heating might have a very high cost.

To tell you the truth, I am perfectly happy with what I have now, be it ever humble. Supposing I were a billionaire, I doubt I’d want more than I have. Chances are, I’d share what I have with those who don’t even have a room to live in.


Pros and Cons of a Manhattan Penthouse that Would Most Affect My Happiness

1. The view would be spectacular.
2. I would be living in the city I most love.
3. Manhattan always inspires me to write, and living in a penthouse would be comfortable and hopefully secluded enough for writing.
4. The doorman would know everything about everybody, and maybe I could bribe him to tell me the gossip, as the fodder for stories.
5. If the place would be around Central Park or in the 80-81 streets, I would be within walking distance to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which always has something spectacular and artsy going on.
6. Vandalism or burglary possibility would be nil.
7. Yet, if the place were to be too large I’d have to have people working in it constantly; I wouldn’t be able to write and enjoy my solitude due to the distractions.
8. I would lose more things in a larger space, things other than my keys and an occasional scrap of paper.
9. The heating and AC could become a problem, in addition to other constant repairs.
10. Penthouse apartments are more exposed to the elements than other types of housing.
11. I would probably end up having to referee the problems between the neighbors or the neighbors and the management.
12. Should the elevators conk out or should there be a blackout, I would be stuck on top of the building.
13. Should a fire or any other disaster happen, I wouldn’t be able to make it to the ground level.
14. Some of my good friends who have height frights would stop visiting me.

--------------------------------------

Prompt: Even though we all love our houses, is there a house on TV or the movies you would like to live in?

LISTERS, remember to include your list of 14 items linked in some way to your Blog entry.


 ~

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827060-Maybe-a-Penthouse-in-Manhattan