*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826892-A-Nice-bucket-challenge-Yes-Whats-the-big-fuss
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#826892 added September 2, 2014 at 7:46pm
Restrictions: None
A Nice bucket challenge. Yes. What's the big fuss?
Have you ever seen such a snowball effect, as the icebucket challenge for ALS motor neurone disease fund raiser?

It seems that everyone is doing it. The nominations are pouring in, and the willingness to do such a ridiculous, and apparently in rare cases, fatal deed, is amazing.

This can't happen to me, is a useless statement in this case. My nomination, when the sky fell on my head, came from our eldest son, who moved to Queensland recently to study Architecture at Uni.

See "A sword that pierces parents' heart shouldn't hurt like this

Now why would someone do such a silly thing as nominate their dad for an ice bucket challenge?? It's outrageous. It's wrong. It's just too much to expect an old bloke to... oh all right I'll stop whinging and just do it then.

But there's been a week or two (or three) delay 'cos I've had the flu. Still have it and that's over 4 weeks now - worst I've ever had, much worse than Man-flu.


Do you ever spell 'Flu as Flue? Influenza as the chimney flue pipe? Funny how some words get mixed up all the time.

Maybe a bloke needs a bucket of icy water sloshed over his head now and then to improve thinkability, and wokeupedness.

Even the police in Tasmania are getting in on the act, of this Ice Bucket Challenge, and I think it's a very positive thing to actually have a sense of humour about it.

If you can be bothered, copy and paste these links into the address bar of your search engine. I can't figure out how to easily copy these links now. Facebook's changed it.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video.php?v=722517504494819&fref=nf

I have to confess I was grouching about it quite a bit (the challenge) to my poor long suffering wife. I just thought it was very silly. Still do. But you know, sometimes we need to let go a bit and do silly things, laugh at ourselves and let pride go. Let ourselves go.

Never know we might shock ourselves and still be young at heart *Pthb*

Anyway, I'm not that worried about it. After all, most people have it all wrong. It's not an ICE bucket challenge. It's a NICE bucket challenge. It IS. I have it on good authority.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video.php?v=10152725178142848&set=vb.758292847&type=2&theater

The bravest of them all, of course, would have to be those police in Tasmania *proudface* who had a go at it up near the Great Lakes at Liaweene, the coldest place in Tasmania, and the only place on the continent with a subpolar oceanic climate.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video.php?v=722517504494819&set=vb.143315189081723&type=2&theater

Once I've recovered a bit more from this stinking flu, I'll post a video of my Ice Bucket Challenge thingumybob. The fad will probably be worn out by that time and people won't notice. Just wear sunglasses.

.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/826892-A-Nice-bucket-challenge-Yes-Whats-the-big-fuss