*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/821577-This-ones-about-3D-the-scene-and-crisis-management
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#821577 added July 4, 2014 at 12:35am
Restrictions: None
This one's about 3D, the scene, and crisis management.
30DBC PROMPT: "Imagining a new way to read; one 3D-printed book...see this link for more info  .

Hey folks...what's goin' on? Interesting prompts to deal with today, so stick around awhile and let me take up some of your online time.

I think the idea of 3D printing technology is incredible, and I love that it's being used as a tool to help handicapped kids enjoy books on a much greater level than they originally would have. I've actually read a few different articles related to 3D printing (I used to work for a consumer electronics company, and I guess you could say I've kinda got a techie fetish), and it's refreshing to see that the capabilities can be used in a positive manner...many of the bits I've read seem to include information regarding the manufacturing of functional parts for guns, which disturbs me because it feels like we're creating something useful that's intended to aid in the process of killing. I'm not so naive to think that people won't find ways to exploit something fresh and new and potentially very helpful, but it's nice to see that there's a true, legit purpose that can enrich lives.

3D printing has the potential to expand a largely stagnant medium in books. Yeah, e-books are great and all, but what about those who can't use Kindles or Nooks? And isn't an e-book basically the same thing as any book you could purchase and handle from a bookstore or borrow from a library? This technology could revolutionize books in the same manner that the VCR and video cameras reinvented how and what we watched on television. Imagine your favorite story brought to life in a much richer visual format...you can only do so much with mere words, but accessorizing them with colorful physical accompanying imagery could breathe new life into a wide range of subjects.

How about encyclopedias? The internet has pretty much put the defining research tool out of business...but a 3D printer could create something much more vibrant and interactive. Romance novels, biographies, how-to guides, hell, even comic books...having the capacity to print out a "deluxe edition" at your leisure is just the kind of jump start the publishing industry needs. If this technology were available ten or twenty years earlier, maybe companies like Borders or Media Play or even Circuit City wouldn't have gone out of business...given the right transitioning plan, there could have been a lot of money/profit in 3D versions of literature. It's true that consumers like extras (and will sometimes pay more for added content). and with this new capability to add different dimensions to existing works, we can get future generations excited about classic literature in a whole new way.

I think it's incredible, and the possibilities are limitless in a completely different direction than what we've been accustomed to since the dawn of bookmaking. I hope this field is thoroughly explored within my lifetime, because I'd love to see it thrive.

BCF PROMPT: "Tell us about a movie or book scene that you relate to on a personal level."

Wouldn't it be great to see your favorite scenes from beloved books enacted via 3D and holographic printing? It'd add a completely new and more engaging layer to works of literary art. If I could find a way to print up a copy of this blog and take you back visually to sights and sounds from my experiences, you'd totally buy a copy of it.

I feel like there's a void in my life because I'm having a hard time recalling any particular scenes from movies or books that I feel like I can truly relate to, where I can say with full confidence "This really speaks to me." It's so much easier for me with music...especially emotional songs with lyrics that cut to the chase in three-to-four minute bursts. Movies and books require more time and a certain amount of dedication...a slower build to a less-rewarding payoff.

That said, one of my all-time favorite movies is Major League  . Basically, a team of has-beens and wash-outs is constructed to make up the Cleveland Indians, and the owner hopes they'll suck so much that she can lower the attendance enough to justify moving the team to Florida. SPOILER ALERT: Her plan backfires when the team becomes so good that they wind up winning the World Series (a scene that still gets me a little misty in the sockets).

The turning point of the movie is when the players realize their team's owner sucks as a person, as evidenced by this scene  . The realization of having to "win the whole fuckin' thing" is a great and powerful thing...indulge me the relation of this memory, if you will.

When I was 21 or 22, I went in to work at the local Arby's and there was a flyer on the bulletin board for a free bowling party. Me and a couple of the guys decided to check it out, and we had a good enough time that we allowed them to rope us into joining a bowling league. I'm not a very good bowler. Doody was pretty good, and Verno had some muscle behind his ball...DMFM was pretty terrible but it was a good excuse for him to get out and hang with us.

It was a six-team rec league...nothing serious, so it's not like there were professionals involved. It was basically an opportunity for us to get out, spend time together, have a few beers, and do some keglin' (as my boss would say). My sis and some of her friends would come out to support us, and it was usually a good time. Because we weren't very good, we had a high handicap...which somehow worked in our favor. If we bowled bad one week, our higher handicap would benefit us the next week, where we'd wind up bowling our asses off.

Mind you, most of us were in our early 20's...DMFM wasn't yet of legal age, but sometimes we'd sneak beers in for him. The alley caught on when they realized they were taking in a lot of Honey Brown empties, but the bar wasn't selling any. It's no coincidence halfway through the season they scheduled our matches on the lanes directly in front of the customer service desk.

Because we were young and didn't give a shit, obviously we had what is considered "poor bowling etiquette". We sat on the backs of chairs, became aggressive and highly competitive, drank, smoked and swore, and were basically a collective bitch to deal with. We particularly raised the ire of a team consisting of two married senior citizen couples, who hated us enough to talk among themselves regarding our behavior. Eventually we overheard them, probably on one of our more expressive nights. As we were discussing what we'd heard, were we sorry? Nope. I was sitting on top of a chair and it clicked in me..."You know what we've gotta do? We gotta win the whole...fuckin'...thing." Four guys who'd barely ever bowled competitively in their lives suddenly had a dream and a reason, plus some enemies.

And sure enough, at the end of the season we were on top. A bunch of a-hole punk kids, sticking it up the ass of the rest of the league. It was beautiful and glorious...everything a championship should be.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

It's not about the song so much as it is about the visuals.



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

Blog City image small


*Clouds* "Honestly, evaluate the way you respond to a crisis situation. Are you happy with the way you react?"

Nope. I'm a pussy (cue Charlize Theron's character on Arrested Development saying that to you adorably in a British accent). I haven't been, fortunately, involved in very many public crisis situations. I know I'd love to be the hero- who wouldn't?- but I know I probably lack the internal fortitude to actively manage a full-blown crisis kind of event.

When I was working at Walgreens a couple winters ago, I was coming off my lunch break and was about to head outside for a smoke when I saw the lobby looked like a car wash. There was some sort of heater malfunction that set off the sprinkler system, which in turn set off the fire alarms...a sound cue to evacuate the premises. I skipped my cigarette and clocked back in (you know a brother's gotta get paid for this shit) and jumped into action, which required me telling people they needed to leave the store.

And people are so stupid sometimes. Fire alarms going off at an eardrum-piercing level, and urgency in our behaviors...y'all need to GTFO, especially because we can't see the fire, but we're not gonna be liable for your dead ass if the store burns down. This one lady was like "Ok, I'm just waiting on a script, so I'll be out of here soon". One of my managers was like "NO...there's a fire in the building, so you need to leave now." Seriously...what the fuck is wrong with people??

It's funny because at Capco Wednesday during our training luncheon we were prepped on awareness for the emergency exits, among other details. Because the weather was turning and there was a tornado watch in effect, the other regular asked what we should do in the event of a tornado. It raised a good point, because we probably should have a disaster plan in place. Turns out there's a couple people who are trained for such purposes, and if something were to happen they'll know how to respond. Which is all well and good if they're there in the unlikely event severe weather should impact the surrounding area...but if they're not present, we're kinda screwed.

But back to actual crises, naw man. I'm not a swift reactor. I take cues from others, which means I'll probably never be a hero or save lives. I don't wanna know though...I'd prefer not to be in a situation where I have to act out above and beyond. I'd be more worried I'd make a bad situation worse, and then have to deal with "wrongful death" lawsuits or some other bullshit. Things should just always go as planned, without hitches or d-bags pushing some random agenda that never affects me anyway. Life would be so much easier without the lingering notion that there might be unnecessary drama.

*Bookstack* I got the call this afternoon that my transcripts from ECC   have been verified and are now considered "official", along with an invite to move forward in the process of becoming a college student again. This is good news...one less thing to worry about, but a whole 'nother wave of anxiety and excitement and anticipation awaits. I'm doing it, and it's a great feeling...but I'm nervous and scared and Charlie Brown auuuugh-ing at the same time.

*Shirt* I like my Capco boss, but she's a low talker. Her volume is quiet. I spent a good amount of time working directly with her today, and yeah...she's hard to hear. I don't want to be rude and keep asking her to repeat herself, but double-you tee eff me right in the noggin...we could be all about gettin' along better if I could hear her when she talks.

*Flower6* And again at Capco, this morning I was tasked with working with an older gentleman (probably old enough to be my dad...not cripplingly old, but old enough). We were to wash out buckets so we could eventually plant flowers. Peter used to work for IBM, and they'd fly him all over the place, so it's not like I was dealing with some kind of degenerate. He's smart. But he lacks a ton of cognitive skills...he thanked me before we even formally met, and he definitely had instructions fall through his grip. I don't ever wanna be that guy who thanks someone in the middle of doing something like "cool, maybe I'll see ya around" like we were done with unfinished business. Peterface needs to become a word, and sooner rather than later.

*Quill* We're only just three days into July and already I'm super behind on reading other blogs. I also keep forgetting to send my three-prompt entry fee in to 30DBC Creator/Founder ...I actually came up with some prompts I can feel alright about putting my name under. I'll never argue the people who can righteously claim I'm wicked lazy.

I probably had a few more things to add, but I'm exhausted and I've been fighting sleep the last few nights anyway. If I don't get back to you soon, at least I've got all holiday weekend to do so. Peace, better straighten up the attitude, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


Always hits me right in the feels.

© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/821577-This-ones-about-3D-the-scene-and-crisis-management