*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815358-Treasures-Defined
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#815358 added April 30, 2014 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
Treasures Defined
I’ll need a definition for the word treasure to talk about what I think my treasures are.

According to Webster’s, treasure has three meanings.
: something valuable (such as money, jewels, gold, or silver) that is hidden or kept in a safe place
: something that is very special, important, or valuable
: a person who is greatly loved or valued especially because of being very helpful

Of all the above definitions, the last one about a person is the most precious one for me, as it is my hubby, definitely my most favorite treasure, although I don’t display him. If I displayed him, he’d have my head for it. He wouldn’t even like that I mention him here, but he doesn’t read my blog, so I can get away with it.

For the items in the middle definition --something special, important, or valuable—I’ll try to upload the photos of some of those under this entry. They are what I hold valuable even if their monetary value may be nil. This list starts with my reference books near my desk, and other books that I hold dear scattered in bookshelves and wall units around the house. Next, I have the photos of people near and dear to me, some of which are on the wall next to my desk, as well as a froggy-on-a-lily-pad painting made my younger son Al when he was in third grade. Then comes the tall music-box with different colors of lights that change around a flower as the music plays, “You light up my life.” This one is my older son’s present. I have also my coffee mugs and fancy pillows with the word Joy embroidered on them, gifted to me by my daughter-in-law. In addition, I have the Writing.com pins and things, pinned to the shelf-cover on top of my reference books.

Then I have a doll, given to me by my daughter-in-law’s grandfather two years ago, possibly as a gag gift. I don’t know what made him do it, but he bought a whole bunch of dolls and gave one to every woman in the family. The originality of it, giving dolls to old women idea of that dear man, makes that gift a treasure for me.

Of the last description, probably the top ones are: my oil-portrait painting done by a somewhat famous painter-friend and teacher about 35 years ago, and other watercolor paintings of another artist not from USA, and some crystal pieces and similar knick knack in the curio cabinet.

In addition to what Webster’s has defined as treasures, I have other important items very dear to me. Those may have a monetary value or not, but they are not on display, and they are for me to gaze at from time to time and lock away. Furthermore, some treasures that not on display do not have a physical body, but only meaning. They are the precious, most valuable, non-replaceable, priceless memories that I hold inside my heart.


-------------------

Prompt: What treasures do you display inside your home?
 ~
 ~
 ~

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/815358-Treasures-Defined