*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/811388-Letter-from-the-Editor-Fantasy-April-NL-deadline
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#811388 added May 29, 2019 at 10:59pm
Restrictions: None
Letter from the Editor Fantasy April NL (deadline)
Printed Books versus E-Books

Is it better to use e-publishing technology or print technology?


Are physical books dead?
Is the technology used to print physical books outdated?
Are e-books better?

In research this newsletter I encountered two schools of thought on this subject. The first school say that printed books are better because of the enhanced retention level after reading the books, it is easier to take notes from a printed source, and the ability for parents to co-read a book with their children http://www.sentinelprinting.com/blog/bid/267575/The-Benefits-of-Printed-Books. The other school of thought states that e-books are better because it is easier to publish a book using an e-book app. I admit that it is easier and faster to self publish using an e-book app, but I do not believe printed books are dead and ready to be regulated to the Antique Road Show rather then the library.

The reason I believe this comes from a personal experience I had last week. On Monday I went to the library to get library card, at the time I thought the only time I would use the card was when I needed to use their computers. The day I got the card, I realize I was wrong in my assumption of when I would use the card. The day I got the card, I went to the new book section and checked out a book of poem. I never heard of the author and I probably would not have even noticed her name if I was downloading a book to an e-reader. I would have chosen an entirely different author.

I brought the book home, sit down on the love seat, and begin reading. It is amazing how much fun it is to hold a book in your hand when you read. Holding the book, I could get up and leave the book for a few minutes and come back to it without worrying that I would losing battery power, the electricity going off, or my Internet connection cutting out. With a printed book, I can return to reading without losing my place because of a technological malfunction. If am reading a book online and the technology goes haywire then I have to start all over again because I lost my place, but this never happens when I am reading a printed book.

I encourage any authors reading this to consider both the printed medium and the e-book medium because you have wider range of readers. What I want you to remember is that the printed medium has numerous advantages over the e-book medium. One advantage the a printer book is that you do not need batteries or any type of technology to read it. If the electricity goes out, you can read a printed book by candlelight, flashlight, or sunlight. I suspect you might even be able to read a printed book by full moonlight, but I have not had that experience.


What is your opinion of e-boos versus printed books?



© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/811388-Letter-from-the-Editor-Fantasy-April-NL-deadline