*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805286-Memories-about-our-DAD
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#805286 added January 31, 2014 at 3:23pm
Restrictions: None
Memories about our DAD
Howdy Howdy Howdy!  If you've ever been greeted by dad you've heard this expression. 

Dad raised us the old fashioned way.  He ably provided food, clothing and shelter.  He laughed often, taught us right from wrong and most important of all taught us about God.  By living example he gave us both a moral code and a spiritual guideline. There were the simple rules; don't lie, cheat or steal, don't hurt someone by word or deed, be a responsible citizen and consumer, pick up after yourself, and go to church often.

Then there were the intangible rules; explore, try different things, have fun, enjoy all kinds of music, read regularly, and always do our best.  Dad welcomed those from different cultures into our lives and helped us appreciate what they brought.  That variety encouraged us to try things like Kale (before it was cool), Hot Tamales (not the candy), Kosher Tongue Sandwiches, Licorice Ice-cream, Venison, and Sardines and Crackers. We didn't necessarily all grow up liking those things, and to this day some of us won't eat Liver.  He gave us the opportunity to try adventurous foods as the turtle from the Midwest camp swamp, rabbit, quail, artichokes, persimmons, and pomegranates. 

God, family, country is a familiar quote one does not usually associate with child rearing but is a good description of our upbringing.  Dad made sure that we knew who God is and what our relationship with him is intended to be.  We were in Sunday school and Church when the doors were open this included driving downtown to Mac Arthur Park where we secured a parking spot for upcoming street meetings.  Country didn't mean just being patriotic it meant helping to take care of it.  As a family we took scenic drives sometimes just around the area but many times to other branch churches where he often preached.

Our house was full of laughter and stories.  Some of our memories are sitting around the table eating dessert only to have dad hide his empty dessert plate behind his big hands and say "I'll trade you site unseen" to any child gullible enough to take him up on it.  Some of his favorite expressions were 'Ach du lieber', 'the Fact of the matter is', and when he was particularly adamant about making a point he shook his finger and said, 'Now Look-It here!'

In his early days of preaching he took the Dale Carnegie course "how to win friends and influence people".  It did not, however, change his challenge with certain word pronunciation as in Re NEM ber, and Anaways. 

Part of child rearing is how to train your children to behave in church.  While on the platform, dad had his own unique sign language for communicating his displeasure with his children's behavior.  First level of communication was a glare and biting his lower lip.  Second level was a finger across the lips indicating silence. The third level was two fingers on the knee moving together and apart indicating you need to separate.  And the threat of if he ever had to come off the platform you better run. 

Dad knew a valuable item when he saw it, he was a dumpster diver before there were dumpsters.  For instance, he saw a half a ton Palos Verdes rock on the side of the freeway.  With his boom truck he pulled alongside the rock and strapped it to lift it onto the flatbed.  As he struggled by himself his boss drove by and saw him.  He pulled over and helped dad to maneuver the rock onto the truck.  The rock ended up in a prominent place in our back yard.  On our move to Grants Pass he tried to take is as a souvenir but it was too heavy for the trailer.  Speaking of souvenirs, they took a souvenir from almost every city they lived in.  It started with Tina in Portland, Kathy in Los Angeles, Annette in South Pasadena, Carol in Reseda, Susie in Grants Pass, and Greg in Kansas City. 

As we've gotten older his role in our lives has evolved.  He gave moral support in life decisions, he advised in many capacities from daily household maintenance to spiritual questions.  He was also known for his microwave cobbler and caramel popcorn. 

And you've probably all heard him say…
Thank you Thank you Thank you 
Which is what we say to him today.



© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805286-Memories-about-our-DAD