*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/804625-Newsletter-Deadline-12714
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#804625 added May 29, 2019 at 10:13pm
Restrictions: None
Newsletter Deadline 1/27/14
Title

Steps to Publication for Sci-Fi & Fantasy

What are the steps to publications for science fiction and fantasy?

About This Newsletter

'Heinlein's Rules for Writers

Rule One: You Must Write
Rule Two: Finish What Your Start
Rule Three: You Must Refrain From Rewriting, Except to Editorial Order
Rule Four: You Must Put Your Story on the Market
Rule Five: You Must Keep it on the Market until it has Sold'
― Robert A. Heinlein

Letter from The Editor


Step 1: (The Obvious) write the story. You can plan the story, you can outline the story, or you can sit down at the computer or with a pen and paper and begin writing. It does not matter how you do this step because each of us has a different way of taking the first step to publication.

Step 2: Check your grammar and spelling by printing off a hard copy of the story and going through it with a red ink pen marking the places where there are typos or misspelled words. Then check the grammar and make sure that in the heat of writing, you did not switch from past tense to present tense or visa versa. You also need to check for run on sentences and other grammar issues. The last part of this step is to make sure you are showing the action rather then telling it.

Step 3: Find a publisher for your story. There are many online and e-magazines, in addition to the regular print market. Read the magazine to find out what type of stories it prints. It may be possible to get a free copy of the magazine by sending paying for the postage, which is normally much less then purchasing the magazine. If the publication will not send you a free copy then you may be able to find a copy of the latest issue of magazine at your local library.

Step 4: Once you have decided on a publication then read the submission rules carefully. I suggest printing off a copy of the submission instructions so that you have read the instruction properly and understand them. When you are ready to submit your story, then follow the instructions exactly. I the magazine wants a printed copy of the story check your printer cartridge to be sure it is working properly before printing the copy and then check the copy to see that it can be read before sending it to the editor.

Step 5: If you get a rejection slip then read it carefully to see if the editor gave a reason for the rejection. Keep the rejection slip; even if it is just a standard rejection slip without specific information, it is still useful. When you go to have your taxes done, you can use it as proof you are submitting stories or us can use the rejection slips to redecorate your bathroom.

Step 6: Find another publication to submit the story. Do not put the story in a drawer of a filling cabinet and forget it. Continue to submit the story until an editor accepts it for publication or edit requests you make changes that will make it ready for publication.

© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/804625-Newsletter-Deadline-12714