*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798232-Where-we-are-accepted
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#798232 added November 19, 2013 at 4:18pm
Restrictions: None
Where we are accepted...
...or not.

mE:

Times do change and what is tolerated or accepted changes with them.

In a time of uncertainty some folks seek the familiar while others embrace the new.

Natural responses both; however some people become fearful and cannot abide anything disturbing in their life.

Am I flexible enough myself?

Within my inner circle perhaps not. Good boundaries are essential for my tranquility. And I've had issues with boundaries in the past. Still do.

So... I live alone in two rooms that are MINE! But, I am out in the world with people who are nuttier than me! Same with friends. Some are closer than others; some I wish were closer...

Still, I don't want to live in a community of multiple mini-mes. Nor do I want to have to hide and be afraid because of the hostility of the society around me.

This survey comes up with criteria for members of the LGBT community, but the methods could be employed for other communities as well.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/185436753/MEI-2013-Report

I live in a community with a score of 100. I moved here from one with 55 and grew up in one with 52. Of course, this survey is based on the present and I lived in those places... ...when?

Still, there are those folks who gravitate towards "safety" and those who have great networks of support (like family) or inner strength regardless.

When I joked years ago that I'd move to a state beginning with M I was thinking of Minnesota or Mississippi. Not Montana. Nope. However the cities in Mississippi scored 17-10-0-0. Worse than Alabama. And much worse than Nebraska or Oklahoma where I've also lived.

I do not wish to be "ghetto-ized", forced to live in areas where I feel safe among my "own". Even with my travels I want to be able to go anywhere.

But it's nice to live in a town that's got my back (even when we-all know bad stuff still happens).
44,207

© Copyright 2013 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798232-Where-we-are-accepted