*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796072-Oct-28
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#796072 added October 28, 2013 at 2:02pm
Restrictions: None
Oct 28
Its Monday morning, the last Monday of October. I cringe when my mind touts "Why does time fly the older you get?" Thursday afternoon Hubby and I left our home in Portland and drove Hwy26 east to Redmond, OR. After crossing just below Mt Hood we passed the cut off to Kahneeta.
This is an Indian Reservation that has pools warmed by the underground hot springs. If I remember right. I think the last time I visited was in the late 70's or early 80's. Each time I drive by the exit I comment, "Some day I want to go visit there again." Each time we fly by and I hear "Another time."
Past that we head over the edge of nowhere and into the valley of the DeShutes River and the little Indian village of Warm Springs. Years ago before they built a Casino there it was just a little smoke shop and quick stop grocery store.  As we came down the hill I would see a faded sign made with markers that said INDIAN FRY BREAD. There were a couple on the descent. I always looked for some one selling the bread, but never saw a sign pointing to the place or anything other than the two signs near the top of the hill.
Last month my friend left his box of pills and vitamins at his home. They arrived in Redmond for a few weeks vacation. Their son just asked if anyone wanted to drive the 2.5 hours over and back. I said I would go. It was a lovely drive. I had an Audio book to listen to.  When I came over the ridge and started toward Warm Springs I noticed the signs were a bright ORANGE. I slowed and found another sign near a road and an empty lot. Here a tent was set up and a woman made the fry bread. I scored! 
She makes them different than what I am used to. The ones I've had were thick and only about six inches across. This woman pulled the bread to a thin pizza size (9 inches or so) and then fried it. She shook cinnamon and sugar on it and off I went to Redmond so happy. When I got there I delivered the pill box and bread to my boss/friends and left to drive back. Everyone was happy to get the fry bread.
This last weekend we looked for the tent again but nothing was there. Disappointed we stopped at the casino to see what their restaurant might have. It was closed and all they serve is soup and bread ofr $9.99.  Really? Besides it stunk of cigarette smoke so I was glad to leave.
We saw two movies over the weekend. Captain Phillips and Gravity. Capt Phillips was a great movie. I followed the storyline and felt it pretty much portrayed what happened. I felt sorry for the 16 yr old boy who was killed, but when you make choices you must pay for them. MY biggest gripe is we now are infiltrated with Samolians who are relatives to these pirates. They like the Humongs are not the people who helped us in the war, they are the leeches who come here and suck off the bottom of our society. I will stop there. It is my pet peeve.
We then saw Gravity which seemed to have high ratings. It was boring!! The story line had a great beginning. Then George Clooney is killed off and we have this woman who somehow is able to accomplish the unbeliveable task of getting a space ship into two, not just one, but two docking stations and then get herself back to earth. We only know one thing about her. She is a doctor of some sort on this mission as a payload and her daughter died. *Yawn*  She has no emotion other than the moment she talks about her daughter's death. No husband, or man in her life to miss or hate. She is emotionless and that's what I felt when the screen went black.
I could have written a better script. The goal was to get back to earth or at least to a safe place. The motivation was simply the space debris came around every 90 minutes to wipe out all the space stations in its path.  The conflicts are she loses two of her outside coworkers and then finds out all the the other inside people are dead too. Then she gets in a shuttle to get to the next station, that breaks appart and she has to get that shuttle to the next space station. All of which she knew how to do all this even though she failed the simulator test every time. Then she doesn't burn up on reentry and lands in a lake some where. The end.  It isn't any closure other than she's landed somewhere on earth and can walk. The territory looks like something out of Jurrasic Park.  Whoa did I see the shadow of a dinosaur creeping up on her?  That might have been better than the movie itself.

Tina Weaver

** Image ID #1634119 Unavailable **
         


             

© Copyright 2013 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796072-Oct-28